Monday, January 28, 2013

Simple Food

Sometimes, I often think.... Is my food "blog-worthy" enough? I like to cook and eat simple food. I am very wary of dishes with a "twist". I am even more "allergic" when I hear the word fusion. Why ruin a perfectly good adobo by adding something new to it?

Perhaps, I am very old-fashioned when it comes to food. I always love to re-create what I had when I was growing up. I remember reading a handwritten recipe by my Grandmother, it was Lechon Meycauyan or what we know as Lechon Kawali. It was "roasted" using a kawali and not deep fried. I use that technique sometimes when I want to render fat from Liempo to use for my sautéed vegetables.

Lechon "Kawali"

Sautéed Sitaw

Can you see how shiny the vegetables are? And..... glistening in natural animal fat???

Saturated fat gets a bad reputation all the time. But actually, it is not bad. I know all the dietitians and medical practitioners will disagree with me.

Compare the regular cooking oil whether, canola, grape seed, or corn (They all underwent a series of processing) with natural animal fat which did not undergo processing. Which do you think is healthier??? Maybe I am just a fluke of Mother Nature because even if I consume saturated fat, my cholesterol level is low and I do not have a fatty liver. Perhaps it is because I do not eat wheat, which is a big reason why I can indulge in saturated fat.

I still cannot forget the Adobong Hito Mayette served yesterday. Since I do not have Hito at the moment..... Mayette's Chicken and Pork Adobo was good enough for me.

Hahahaha! Do you think it is immodest and not so humble of me if I say all the food I cooked today were delicious???? Mom used to scold me whenever I heap lots of praises on my own cooking. She said, I should not do that. But what can I do? My simple food tasted really good!!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment