Monday, May 3, 2010

Thai Green Mango Salad and Curry Crab


I had a very bad craving last night for Thai Fried Curry Crab and Green Mango Salad. I couldn't wait to wake up to go to Farmer's Market in Cubao.


The Green Mango Salad is different from the Filipino version, if your food has a lot of flavor already, you need something to balance it with. I used the vegetable grater Tita Jit sent me from Bangkok. It's really a great tool! Shredded the mango really thin, but if you don't have it, you can also use a knife. This salad is also good with fried fish.




Thai Green Mango Salad

2 C. shredded green mango

2 shallots, sliced

2 T. dried shrimp, fried until crisp and fragrant

1 red chili, sliced thinly

1 T. Thai fish sauce

1 T. lime juice

1 T. brown sugar

Mix in a bowl the sliced chili, fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar. You can adjust according to your taste. Put the green mango shreds on a plate, top with the dried shrimps and sliced shallots. Pour the dressing and toss.

Somboon's



One of the most unforgettable food I ate in Bangkok was the Fried Curry Crab in Somboon Seafood Restaurant. I've been trying to look for the recipe for years! Tita Jit told me she was able to to eat in Somboon and experimented. She gave me the recipe and I tried it today and tweaked it a little.





Lia's



It didn't turn out the way I expected it but tasted good just the same. I think the secret is the yellow curry powder. I just bought the ordinary kind in the grocery and not made in Thailand. The Thai Yellow Curry paste sold here is different because it is already mixed with other ingredients and spices.






Fried Curry Crab


1 big crab (750 grams), cleaned and cut into quarters




2 T. cooking oil

1 head garlic, crushed

2 t. curry powder

1 C. evaporated milk

1 T. roasted chili paste (From Tita Jit)



1 egg, beaten

2 T. oyster sauce

1 T fish sauce

1 T. brown sugar

1/4 t. white pepper

2 red chili, sliced

spring onions, chopped into 1 inch length

kinchay, chopped into 1 inch length


Brown the garlic in cooking oil, remove and set aside. Stir fry the crabs in the same oil, when it turns orange, add the curry powder and browned garlic.

In a bowl, mix the milk, chili paste and beaten egg. Pour into the pan and season with oyster sauce, fish sauce, brown sugar and white pepper. When the mixture is thick already, pour the greens and the chili and continue cooking for a few seconds. Transfer into a serving platter.

4 comments:

  1. a thai chef once shared a tip with me on the green mango salad....instead of using brown sugar, you can use diluted honey. ;)

    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leah,

    Thanks! Will try that next time. I hope I will be able to post this reply!

    Lia

    ReplyDelete
  3. try using madras curry powder,my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will look for madras curry in the grocery, thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete