Sunday, February 5, 2012

Lengua Asado for the Birthday Dinner of Jodie and Eileen

We had a birthday dinner celebration here in my house for Jodie and Eileen.

Mico, Tricia and Lia. Birthday girls Eileen and Jodie.
















Tricia and Mico asked me to cook Lengua as their contribution and I made Paella. http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/04/lias-simple-paella.html



 I was supposed to make Ceasar Salad but Jodie requested the Vegan Lumpiang Hubad.

http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2012/01/homecoming.html



Mico also brought Buko Pandan from Nathaniels.



Tricia bought sans rival cake from Cake Avenue.

It was just a small intimate gathering of friends and we had a great time plus good food!

Eileen has been my friend since the 4th grade.  I remember, she used to help me with my art homework.  It was Kalamansi painting, wherein you use half a kalamansi, dip it in paint and use it as a stamp pad.

She and I were also member of the Technical Staff in HS.  We were in charge of the sounds, lighting, etc.  whenever we would have a program in the auditorium.

LOL One funny incident.... in the Tech room, just like in the movie house, there is a small window for the technicians to view the screen. Silly, stupid, crazy me, stuck my head in the small square window.  I almost could not get my head out!!!!!   Hahahahaha.

Jodie was my seatmate in HS, she was seated in front of me and we would always chit chat and I would copy notes from her.

I have a new and very easy recipe of Lengua Asado, I got it from the CEU cookbook.

Some people are so intimidated by the thought of cooking lengua.  It is one of the easiest dishes to cook in the whole world!   You can buy in the supermarket cleaned ox tongue already, so I just let the water boil once then rinse the tongue and cook it in the pressure cooker for an hour.  Then, I just peeled the tough outer skin like I was peeling a banana!  I even had time to go shopping at Debenhams while I was letting the tongue cool before slicing.

Lengua Asado



1.5 K. ox tongue, cleaned and tenderized
3 T. butter
1 T. garlic, chopped
1 white onion, chopped
1 can button mushrooms 
1 1/2 C. tongue broth
3-4 T. soy sauce
1 t. pepper
1/2 t. msg
1/2 C. olives, drained
1/4 C. cornstarch dissolved in 1/2 C. tongue broth

Freeze or refrigerate the tongue for an hour or two.  Slice into 1/4 inch thickness, set aside.
Heat a casserole, melt the butter and saute the garlic and onions.
Add the sliced tongue and mushrooms.
Pour 1 1/2  C. broth and soy sauce.  Simmer for 20 minutes. Add the seasonings.
Add the cornstarch mixture and olives.
Cook until the sauce thickens.

My off-diet meal.

5 comments:

  1. It was super yummy! Thank you Lia, Tricia and Miko for a very advance birthday celebration. jodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. im drooling just by viewing all the foods here.hows boracay?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed myself immensely in Boracay. I had a great time with my friends. Cannot wait to go back this June!

    ReplyDelete
  4. have you heard about this "hummous?" its kind of dipping sauce and its so masarap daw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Yes, I have tasted it already, it is called hummus, made of chickpeas, olive oil, sesame paste(tahini) and lemon. But I do not know how to make it.

    ReplyDelete