Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Visayan Humba

Shey introduced me to Visayan Humba.

I used to eat Humba when I was younger but the version of our cook was different from the Visayan one. It had Singkamas and dried shrimps, hibe.

I attempted several times to recreate the Humba that Shey would send to my house. Her Humba came all the way from Dumaguete! I googled for the recipe and found the simplest one. I cannot recall the website anymore. Sorry, website owner!

I used it as a starter or base for my recipe.

Visayan Humba

1/2 K. Pork Liempo, cut into cubes

2 T. Soy sauce, Coconut Brand

1/4 t. Freshly ground black pepper

1/4 t. MSG (optional)

2 cloves garlic,chopped

2 T. Cooking oil

1/4 C. Dark brown sugar

1/4 C. Cane vinegar

1 C. Hot Water

1/4 C. Fermented black beans, drained

20 g. Dried chinese mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water for 30 minutes

1/4 t. Whole black peppercorn

1 pc. Bay leaf

Marinate the pork in soysauce, pepper and MSG for 1 hour.

Heat the oil and saute the garlic until fragrant.

Add the pork and the marinade. Saute over medium heat until most of the liquid has evaporated.

Add the brown sugar and let it caramelize a bit then add the vinegar. Let it boil for a few minutes without stirring.

Add the water, peppercorn, bay leaf, black beans and mushrooms. When it boils, lower heat and cover.

Cook for 30 minutes.

Remove cover and cook until the sauce is almost dry, about 30 minutes more.

Remember to turn the meat over several times.

Serve with hot rice!

I ate my Humba with Ginataang Langka.

Shey said it passed her standards! I also let Tricia and Michelle try it.

Shey prefers it a bit saltier because my version was on the sweet side.

Hahaha! Of course, if the food comes from Lia's Kitchen, it is probably sweet.

That's the wonderful thing of having a base recipe. One can just adjust the taste according to his or her own preference.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment