Thursday, February 1, 2018

Welcome Home Balikbayan Classmates!

January is usually the time the balikbayans come back here to the Philippines.  So, it was get together time with my friends.

Maripaz celebrated her birthday in Manila.  She is from the US.  The first visitor who greeted her was Snowball!


Even if Snowball is not allowed to eat chocolates, she was so excited when Maripaz put all the chocolates she brought home from the US for us in a big basket.

My schoolmates joined the celebration and they brought food for sharing! 



Catherine, Sarita, Rainbow, Bubbles, Clara, Dodai, Christine, Janet, Mylene, Candy, Miko and Mona.

Sarah is another balikbayan from Qatar!


Good thing I saw in FB that she was on her way to the Philippines.  She had another engagement on the day of the get together so she just dropped by to say, Hello.

I invited her the other day for merienda and Dra. Cristina.


Pancit Bihon was my experiment.  The simplest version, ever!  I better share the recipe now before I forget.

Pancit Bihon Guisado

1/4 K. chicken breast, sliced thinly
1/2 C. cooking oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, julienned
1 C. shredded cabbage
50 gr. green beans, julienned
salt and pepper
1 pc. Knorr chicken cube
1/4 C. soy sauce
3 C. water
250 gr. Bihon Q noodles, rinsed not soaked in water

In a big wok, heat the oil. Saute onion, garlic and chicken. 
Add the Knorr chicken cube and then the vegetables.
Pour in the soysauce and the water. 
When it boils add the vegetables and wait until it is crisp tender.
Drain and put back the stock in the wok.
When the stock is boiling, add the noodles.  Continue cooking until the noodles are soft. 
Add more cooking oil if it is stick to the pan.
Return the vegetables and chicken and toss for a few seconds.

Serve with calamansi.

And another friend who came from the US of A is Pinky!


We sure missed her!  She was just in the States to visit her mom and sisters for the holiday.

Of course, we had a few welcome home get together for her.

We had one in Jodie's house in Paranaque.


Another one tonight in my house.


Bethina is also from the US.


She is here visiting her Mom.  I invtied Jing, Mayette, Jon and Mona to have lunch in the house.


Welcome home my dear classmates!

2 comments:

  1. I was reading your blog and noticed that you were able to get the Yunnan Canned Ham. I am from Las Vegas and the last time I found one on my visit to the Philippines was in a Hi Top Grocery Store in QC in 2006. I have been back numerous times but was unable to find it in any grocery store. Do you know of any store that might still carry them? I remember they used to cost about 900 pesos a can. I wonder how much they cost now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! So sorry for the very late reply. I usually buy it in Bee Tin Grocery on Ongpin St.in Binondo.

      Delete