Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Life as a Vegan

It seems so daunting but life as a vegan does not seem so difficult.  Well ... I survived today!  Yay!!!  I just researched and cooked the whole day.  I would like to experiment on healthy but flavorful food so people will not say .... Vegetarian food!!! EWWWW!  or BORING!!!  Guilty, I used to say that.

My main meal was the Vegetable Soup.  I browsed  the internet for a simple recipe. 

Vegan Vegetable Soup by Ted Danson



4 C. vegetable stock
1/3 C. onion, diced
1/3 C. carrot, diced
1/3 C. celery, diced
1/3 C. green beans, chopped
1/3 C. corn
1/3 C. peas
1/3 C. baby Lima beans



1/3 C. Chinese cabbage, chopped
1/2 C. Stewed tomatoes
1/2 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper

Put everything in a sauce pan and bring to boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Serve with toasted rye bread.



I even put the soup in the tureen Mona gave me to make it appetizing and exciting. 



I let her try and she was surprised it tasted good!

I made a little mistake today.  I used Knorr vegetable bouillon but after adding it, I discovered it contained vegetable oil, milk and fish!!!  I did not see it immediately because it was hidden by the price tag.



So after lunch, I made my own Vegetable Stock from scratch.  I got the recipe again from the internet.

Vegetable Stock



4 C. Water
2 large onions
3 medium carrots
3 stalks celery
1 head garlic, peeled
10 peppercorns
1 bay leaf

Chop all the vegetables coarsely and put in a stockpot.   Add water. Turn the stove to a high temperature.  When it boils, lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour only.  Strain and keep the stock.

Dinner was salad greens with orange segments, red onions and fresh mango puree for dressing.



My breakfast was oatmeal sprinkled with cinnamon and topped with apple cubes.



Even Wriggly wanted healthy food.  I gave him a little.



I am training my myself not to get envious when other people are eating regular food in front of me. 

I made Chocolate Mango Crepes for Sophie when she arrived from school.



Mona wanted her crepes with vanilla ice cream.



She even ate very delicious longganisa, a gift of one of my neighbors. 



Hermie cooked it to perfection.  She simmered it slowly in water then fried the sausages in its own fat plus she added oil to deep fry them!!!!  SCARY!!!!  Hahahaha.  Too bad I was not able to enjoy it.

I saved some Kare Kare for Mona because she was not able to attend my lunch yesterday.



I was not tempted at all to take a bite from her food.  I cannot always eat in solitude so I better get used to it.

Another exciting day tomorrow.  I wonder what will I cook and eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment