Thursday, May 22, 2014

Culinary Journey 2014: Kids in the Kitchen Part 1

Culinary Journey is a series of cooking demonstrations sponsored and organized by Bel-Air Village Association, Barangay Bel-Air and WOBA (Women of Bel-Air).

Tricia and I were asked to do cooking demos for kids aged 7-12 (part 1) and 12-15 (part 2).

There were 25 kids today. We had to limit it to that number of participants so it would be manageable.

Facilitators helped us .... Cat, Cris, Tricia T., Tita Ope and Chickee.

Our Capitana, Tita Nene, and Sam were also with us today.

Tricia taught the kids how to make Fruit Kebabs with Chocolate Sauce

Tita Ope helped Jose drizzle chocolate sauce over his Fruit Kebab.

The kids enjoying their kebabs....

Our sexy Chef/Goddess.... Cat

The next recipe was .....

Hot Cocoa Mix

3 T. Milk powder

2 T. Powdered sugar, sifted

2 t. Non-dairy creamer (Coffeemate)

2 t. Cocoa powder

Marshmallows

Chocolate chips

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Add 1 1/2 C boiling water.

Serves 2.

I was the teacher for that demo.

Next was Tricia's Ham and Cheese Pizza with Potato Shoestring Crunch.

Our last recipe was the Buttercream Frosting for cupcakes.

The kids decorated their cupcakes with gummi bears, marshmallows, rainbow sprinkles, chocolate chips, mini M&Ms, mini pretzel sticks and chopped Oreos.

I think they enjoyed this activity very much.

Buttercream Frosting

1 C. Unsalted butter, softened at room temperature

2 C. Powdered Sugar, sifted

1 t. Clear vanilla

1-2 drops of food coloring

1-2 t. Milk, as needed to thin the consistency

Cream the butter then add the powdered sugar 1/4 C at a time.

Add the vanilla and the food coloring.

If the frosting is too thick, add milk to make it spreadable.

Spread frosting on the cupcake and decorate with the toppers.

I was quite apprehensive at first because I do not like children that much. I am actually terrified of them.

It was so surprising the kids we had today were well behaved!

Hahahahahaha! I was not traumatized at all! I also had fun!

Next week, Tricia and I will teach the kids aged 12-15.

I am so excited!

I cannot wait for the next series of Culinary Journey 2014: Kids in the Kitchen.

The Wriggly Chronicles

Tracy of CARA asked me to take a picture of the dog found in Bel-Air.

We are hoping somebody will foster it until we find a forever home.

Please send me a message if you are interested in fostering the dog.

We hope it is soon or else it will be sent to the city pound! And we all know what that means! The dog will be put to death if nobody claims it in 3 days.

I am praying there is somebody out there who will open his/her heart and home to a rescue dog.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment