Saturday, September 4, 2010

Mandarin Orange and Candied Almond Salad

If I can just make a 2 week salad menu for dinner, I would be happy already. I find it very exciting nowadays to research for recipes I like. If I can help it, I will stay away from the dressings you can find in the grocery.


Before I go out, I check my chiller what ingredients I have. Then from there I think of what to buy and what to prepare. I saw the almonds Mona gave me. I typed Almond salad in google and saw different kinds. The Mandarin Almond Salad caught my eye, mainly because of the simplicity of the recipe and the availability of the ingredients. Of course, I put my own spin to it.


Mandarin Almond Salad - 2 servings


(With no dressing yet.)


100 grams Lollo Rossa lettuce

1 small can of Mandarin orange, drained

2 T. almonds, hand chopped coarsely or in half

1 1/t. sugar

1 T. green onions, chopped


Heat a heavy frying pan, roast the almonds for about 1 minute. Add the sugar and caramelize. Transfer to a plate brushed with olive oil.


Honey Calamansi Dressing

1 T. calamansi juice

1 T. honey

2 T. Extra Virgin olive oil

pinch of rock salt and freshly cracked pepper


Combine calamansi and honey in a small mixing bowl. Beat with a spoon, slowly add the olive oil until it emulsifies. Season with salt and pepper. The dressing will separate if not used immediately, just beat with a spoon or shake in a bottle with a tight lid if that happens.


(Tossed in a salad bowl with dressing.)

No comments:

Post a Comment