Monday, May 16, 2016

Beef Caldereta

I only cook Beef Caldereta one or twice a year.  I was inspired by Mabel's photo in FB a few weeks ago so I ordered beef short ribs from Aling Cora in Poblacion.

I learned how to cook Beef Caldereta from my sister in law, Suzette, when she and Kuya got married.  I was so intrigued because it was my first time to eat it! 

We never had Beef Caldereta when I was growing up.  Up to this day, I can't recall most of the food we ate.  The few that I can remember were arroz ala valanciana, carne frita, beef sinigang, kare-kare, arroz ala cubana, chicken in mirinda and pesang manok.  

I hated the pork bola bola stuffed with quail eggs in sweet and sour sauce!

The rare times that my mom would cook... It was always... Noodle Supreme. Fettucine with white sauce. 

I have an existing Beef Caldereta recipe in my blog but I will replace it with my new experiment which I think is better.

Beef Caldereta

 

1 K. Beef shortribs, cut into 4- inches
1/4 C. Vinegar
1 t. Rock salt
10 pcs. Black peppercorn
1 head garlic, crushed

Marinate beef in vinegar, salt, pepper and garlic for 1 hour.

1/4 C. Cooking oil
1 C. White onion, sliced
2 C. Water
1 small sachet Del Monte Tomato Paste
2 pcs. Bay leaves
1 C. Red and green pepper, cut into big squares

Drain the beef and brown in cooking oil a few pieces at a time.  Set aside.

In the same pan using the same oil, saute the onions until soft.

Add water, tomato paste and bay leaves.  When it starts to boil, add the browned beef and put the peppers on top.

Lower heat, cover and simmer for 3 hours or until the bones separate from the meat.  Add hot water, 1/2 C at a time, if needed.

1/4 K. potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 K. Carrots, peeled and cut into chunks

Add the vegetables, cover and cook for an additional 30 minutes.

1 t. Salt
1 t. Msg
1/2 t. Black pepper

Season with salt, msg and pepper.

1 can Underwood Liverwurst

Add the liver spread in the last 5 minutes of cooking.

I was so surprised my family liked it when I served it to them last Saturday.

I also cooked the Garlicky Chicken Adobo

 

And...

Our Saturday staple, Nilagang Baka with Corn.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment