Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mayette's Adobo

I invited guests tonight because I made Kare-Kare. Sarita and two new friends joined me for dinner. I do not know why Adobo is always paired with it.... but after eating with Kare-Kare... it made sense. Really good combination.



For years and years I've tried cooking adobo but I never got it right until I ate at Mayette's house and she taught me how. My mom never liked the adobo with soy sauce..... said that wasn't the right way to cook it. And I don't like to eat anemic looking adobo! So.... this recipe will give it the right color and taste of an old fashioned Adobo.



Mayette's Old Fashioned Adobo



1 k. meat (chicken or pork or both)

1 head garlic, crushed

10 black peppercorns

2 t. rock salt

1/2 C. vinegar

1 cup water

1/4 C. cooking oil

1 head garlic, crushed




In a stainless steel pot (not aluminum because it reacts with the vinegar) put the chicken or pork or chicken and pork. Add 1 head garlic, peppercorns, salt, vinegar and water. When it boils rapidly, without stirring, lower the heat and cook for 30 minutes, not more than 30 minutes or else the chicken will be mushy. Drain the meat and set aside the garlic.



In a wok, heat the oil. Fry the meat then set aside. In the same oil, brown the garlic from the stock and 1 more head of garlic. Pour the broth in which the meat was boiled. Let the broth boil until only 1/2 is left, put back the meat and continue cooking until the sauce has been reduced to about 1/4 cup and oil has been rendered from the meat.



I still have left over Adobo from dinner! I want to wake up already and eat it for lunch!!! Mona taught me something bad. After I reheat the Adobo in the wok, I am going to put the rice and toss it a few times so it will be coated with Adobo oil!!!



How will I ever lose weight if I eat like this all the time?

14 comments:

  1. I used to cook adobo with a little bit of sugar and I put a lot of garlic. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my God you are my adobo sister LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in Ormoc, where you could just walk to the market and buy fresh meat (chicken, pork) and get home all in ten minutes. Our cook made the best adobo --- no soy sauce (or very little), just like in your recipe, and it was not as saucy as they make it here in Manila. "Bisaya" adobo is on the dry side. And there were always these little caramelized chewy meaty sticky bits that I loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember this night Lia :) Thank you for entertaining us. We had so much fun and everything was delicious.

    Sarita

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sarita! I miss this Adobo! I want to eat again! With you! Will let you know when I am going to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lia, I tried this recipe today...first time I did it with no or just a smidgen of soy sauce and I really liked it! Thanks for sharing! - Barbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quick question, if I double the quantity of meat, would I double the rest of the ingredients as well?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same with my Lola's way of cooking adobo. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marjorie! I prefer my Adobo nowadays without soysauce!

      Delete
    2. Ganyan po yata talaga mag-Adobo mga taga Balanga Ms. Lia. :) Btw, I love your blogs po. :)

      Delete