Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Chicken Soup for the Sick

I have been suffering from a very bad case of allergy which turned into a very bad case of congestion.  LOL  Really, really bad!  I have a high tolerance for pain but the throat/earache was quite unbearable especially whenever I swallow.  I wanted to cry in pain but my friend, Paz, who is a respiratory therapist said, it will make it worse.

I went to Dr. Eusebio Llamas (ENT, Mkt Med.) yesterday and told him he has to make me well ASAP because I am going to Boracay next week!  He prescribed Augmentin (anti-biotics),  Sinupret (decongestant) and Salinase (nasal spray).  On top of that I prescribed to myself Allerta, Advil, Tylenol PM and Montelucast.  I also used my vaporizer.  And yet.... I was still experiencing pain and I could not breathe so well!

But today..... I am feeling so much better!!!  Thank you for the drugs!  There is still a tinge of discomfort but nothing I could not handle.

I read in several websites that Chicken Soup is not just for the soul but also for the sick because it has an enzyme which helps cure the common cold.  I asked Hermie to buy me the ingredients I need in Rockwell.

Chicken Tinola



1/2 K. Chicken breast, chopped
1 T. cooking oil
garlic, chopped
onions, sliced
2 T. ginger, cut into strips
2 T. fish sauce
4 C. water or hugas bigas
1 t. rock salt
6 peppercorns
papaya, sliced thickly
Chile leaves

In a soup pot, saute in oil the garlic, onions and ginger for about 2 minutes.
Add the chicken pieces and cook until no longer pink.
Season with fish sauce.
Pour the water or hugas bigas. 
Season with salt and pepper.
Simmer for 30 minutes then add the papaya.
When the papaya is cooked, about 10 minutes, switch off the heat, add the leaves and cover until wilted.

Best served with fish sauce, chile and kalamansi.




No comments:

Post a Comment