Saturday, June 1, 2013

Brined Roast Chicken

I had an impromptu lunch guests today. Mariger and Jing!

And... Mariel also.

The easiest thing to prepare was the Brined Roast Chicken.

Brining is the process of immersing the meat (poultry or pork) in water with equal part of sugar and salt. This is done to ensure the meat will remain moist and juicy after being subjected to high temperature in the oven or grill.

Brined Roast Chicken

1 K. Whole chicken

1/4 C. Rock Salt

1/4 C. Brown or white sugar

1 T. Black peppercorn

2 pcs. Bay leaves

1 head garlic, crushed

Enough water to cover the chicken

Melted butted or drippings, optional

Combine salt, sugar, peppercorn, garlic, bay leaves and water. Let it stand for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator. Pat dry the chicken (do not rinse) and roast in the oven for 1 hour at 400F, breast side up.

The chicken was juicy and not dry at all.

You can brush the skin with melted butter or pan drippings every 5 minutes in the last 20 minutes of cooking.... I did not ... that was why the skin was not "shiny ".

The S & R cheese pizza was Jing's contribution.

The Rocky Road ice cream was Mariger's.

Good thing I had spaghetti sauce in the fridge, I did not have a hard time preparing for my "instant" lunch.

We were so happy because we were able to hang out with Mariger. We rarely get a chance to be with her because she works in Manila and lives in Cavite.

Until the next time, Ompy!

 

1 comment:

  1. Happy, I received your comments via email but it is not here in my blog. I wonder why?

    I am glad the brining worked out for you!

    ReplyDelete