Friday, May 31, 2019

Bacon Wrapped Fried Siomai

Siomai with no wrapper?

Yes! I'm on a wheat free diet again.  I need to have a procedure done and if I want to be able to get an Endo clearance, I need to lower my sugar pronto!

I was inspired by the bacon wrapped siomai I used to eat at Dimsum Break in Cebu.

I tried to steam a few pieces but it did not come out the way I wanted it so I just pan fried it instead.  You may deep fry it if you like but I am not a fan of deep fried food. 

Besides, I'm "kuripot" when it comes to cooking oil.  Maybe one of the reasons why my cholesterol is low.

Bacon Wrapped Fried Siomai


200 grams kasim, lean meat, pounded then chopped
100 grams pork fat, chopped finely
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. MSG (optional)
1/2 t. sugar
1/4 t. white pepper
1/2 t. sesame oil
1 T. cornstarch
1/2 eggwhite
8 strips of bacon, cut in half

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl except the bacon and stir with a fork.


Measure 20 grams or 1 T. filling and put on top of the bacon and roll it.



Freeze for a minimum of 3 hours or you can keep it in the freezer and cook it when you want. 


Probably, keep in the freezer not longer than a week because there are no preservatives.

Thaw the frozen siomai an hour before cooking.

Put about 15 pieces on a non-stick pan.

Add 1/4 C. of water and cook covered under low heat.

When the liquid evaporates, add 2 T. of cooking oil and increase the heat to medium.

Turn the siomai pieces for even browning.

Serve with toyo, calamansi and chili garlic oil or sweet and sour sauce.







No comments:

Post a Comment