Monday, August 2, 2010

Lia's version of Italian Spaghetti

I have been searching for a perfect Italian Spaghetti. I always see in movies that the sauce is rich in color, hence rich in taste. I've eaten in different places where they serve pastas but they don't have the consistency and color I am looking for. Usually it's with whole fresh tomatoes and a bit too anemic in color, sour or bland for me. My traditional recipe has tons of sugar in it, the children's kind and I only use Del Monte tomato sauce, that's not Italian.

It was my good fortune when I came across this recipe while browsing through my Grandma's cookbook by Edith Barber. I tweaked it a bit and, the result was PERRRRRFECT for me!

The sauce was so thick , flavorful and coated the noodles all over!!! I didn't even have to add herbs, which I don't like, by the way.
Italian Spaghetti Sauce
1/4 C. olive oil

1 clove garlic, chopped

3 T. white onion, minced

3 T. green pepper, minced

225 grams ground sirloin

1 400-gram can of Molinera Whole Peeled Tomatoes (mashed with a fork)

1 250-gram pouch of Del Monte Tomato sauce, Original Recipe

120 grams Del Monte Tomato paste

1 C. water

1 t. salt

2 t. sugar

Parmesan cheese


Heat a thick sauce pan, add olive oil, saute garlic, onions and green pepper. Add the ground beef, break apart and continue sauteing until it is not pink anymore. Add the tomato paste, then the canned tomatoes followed by the tomato sauce. Season with salt and sugar then add water. When it begins to boil, lower the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours uncovered and stir occasionally.

Pour sauce over noodles and sprinkle with Parmesan on top.




1 recipe of Italian Spaghetti sauce : 225 grams uncooked spaghetti noodles.

1 recipe is good for 4 adults (if not "akaw akaw") or 6 children (also if not akaw akaw").


It was really so perfect! I hope it is perfect for other people too!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Li, I've always loved spaghetti so I did my version also according to my taste: ) But I love trying other people's recipe so I will definitely try this one. Looks very yummy...I just had a good dinner at your house but I'm getting hungry again: ) Thanks Li! good night!

    ReplyDelete