Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Beef Kansi Recipe

One of my favorite Visayan dishes is the Beef Kansi.

My first time to try that soup was in Boracay.

The most important ingredient is the Batwan or Batuan. It is a souring agent. I always ask the people who go to the Visayas region to buy some for me.

And then..... Hermie told me that I could buy Batwan in Guadalupe!

So she bought me 1/4 Kilo of Batwan for my Beef Kansi!!!

Beef Kansi

1 K. Beef Shank, boiled until tender

4 C. Beef broth

2 T. Atchuete oil ( 2T. Atsuete seeds/3 T. oil.)

Heat the oil in a pan. Add the seeds and wait until color has been rendered from the atchuete. Strain and set aside.

3 cloves garlic, crushed

1 onion, sliced

1 inch knob of ginger, pounded

2 T. Fish sauce

1 t. Black peppercorn

1/4 K. Unripe langka

1/4 K. Batwan

2 stalks lemongrass, bulb pounded

2 pcs. Green siling haba

Salt and fish sauce to taste.

Sauté garlic, onion and ginger in Atsuete oil. When the onion is wilted, add beef and fish sauce and continue sautéing for a few minutes.

Add the broth and peppercorn. When it boils, drop the Batwan and langka.

Simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or until the Batwan is soft. Mash the fruit with the back of the spoon.

Add the lemongrass and green siling haba.

Season with additional salt and fish sauce according to taste.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment