Saturday, February 23, 2013

Longer Table

I have to add another table whenever my family eats lunch at my house nowadays.

The kids are getting bigger! And their appetites too! My family does not eat much. Before we could not even finish a whole chicken but now, I have to cook 2 or 3 whole chicken!

It is quite difficult to think of a Saturday menu for them. They do not like food with sauce. I must have soup most of the time but only Nilaga because they do not eat Sinigang. The main dish should be "dry", either baked, fried or grilled. So it is a challenge to come up with ideas on what to cook for them.

When they can ask me to cook almost anything.... They only like plain and simple food.

That is why I am glad I have friends who allow me to experiment and let them be my guinea pigs.

Lechon Kawali is generally a safe choice.

I am not so good in making Pancit but I do try my hand occasionally.

What they do not know will not hurt them.

I used the fat that dripped from the Turbo Lechon Kawali to sauté the Pancit Bihon.

I made mine Pancit con Lechon.

I do not like to eat anymore the Visayan Lumpiang Ubod. For this weekend, I cooked the traditional....

Fresh Lumpiang Ubod with Homemade Wrapper

1/2 K. Prime cut Ubod, julienned

125 gr. ground pork

125 gr. shrimps, chopped

Garlic, chopped

White onion, chopped

1 C. Shrimp juice

1 pc. Knorr chicken cube

1 C. Water

Sugar

Patis

Pepper

Sauté the garlic and onions until soft.

Add the ground pork, then the shrimps.

Pour the shrimp juice and water. When the liquid boils, add the Ubod.

Season with pepper, sugar and patis according to your taste. When the Ubod is tender, drain the vegetables.

Lumpia Wrapper

2 eggs, separated

1/2 C. Cornstarch

1 C. Water

Few drops of yellow food color (I think I added too much in my batter)

Beat the egg whites until frothy then add the beaten egg yolk.

Dissolve cornstarch in water and combine with the beaten eggs.

On a non-stick pan, pour 2 T. batter and swirl around the pan. When the sides of the crepe pull away from the pan, turn over gently. Stack in between pieces of grease proof or wax paper.

Lumpia Sauce

1/2 C. Brown sugar

1/4 C. Soy sauce

2 C. Water

3 T. Cornstarch dissolved in 4 T. Water

Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce and water. When it boils, add the cornstarch slurry and stir until thick.

Serve Lumpiang Ubod with fresh garlic

And crushed peanuts.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment