Thursday, January 20, 2011

Healthy, Healthy and NOT Healthy.

This post was inspired by my friend, Dr. Tricia's post in Facebook ... she said, she is looking forward to a healthier lifestyle.  I was able to buy nice lettuce leaves in Rustan's, sometimes they are out of stock but was lucky to get today.

On the wall near the water cooler at the gym, there is a board with some healthy tips on it.  One tip says that you should have at least 5 servings of fruits and vegetables in a day.  Of course, it doesn't apply to me because I have a custom made food plan prescribed by the doctor and dietician.  Which I don't follow by the way... I feel I gain more lbs. when I do so I'm just winging  it.

My salad tonight is somewhat similar to Italianni's.....


Green lettuce leaves, red grapes, chopped apples, cubed mango and Creamy Poppyseed dressing.


I have been craving for something sweet all day long so I decided to indulge in a tall glass of Mango-Papaya Shake.  It is healthy for most but not for me because of the sugar syrup.

Mango Papaya Shake


simple sugar (boil 1/4 C white sugar in 1/4 C water until it is dissolved, let cool)
1/2 mango
2 slices papaya
1 c crushed ice
1/2 C water

Blend mango and papaya with the sugar syrup, then add the ice and water.  Continue blending until smooth.

That was the healthy part of the dinner ... On to the next part ... which is NOT healthy.  I could have done without the Pork Tonkatsu ... but I already prepared it earlier so decided to cook it for dinner.  I did not eat rice anymore, though and... just had 1 piece of pork chop.

Tonkatsu


250 grams pork chop, skinless = 2 pcs.
1/8 t. pepper
1/8 t. MSG (NOT optional for me)
1/4 t. iodized fine salt
2 T. flour
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C Japanese Breadcrumbs
Bulldog tonkatsu sauce

Season the pork chops with salt, pepper and msg and let if stand for 30 minutes.  Roll in flour, then dip in egg then coat with Japanese breadcrumbs.  Refrigerate for an hour before frying.

Tips:
* Using kitchen scissors, cut slits along the fat to prevent from curling.
* When chops are half cooked, pour about 1/4 C of water into the frying pan, making sure the sides of the pan are high or else the oil will over flow.  Cover and cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes.  Remove cover and cook over high fire until golden brown.  This will insure the pork will be tender and juicy and the outside crisp.

Good Luck Tricia!  I know you can do it.  Hahahaha  I think you and I shouldn't eat together for a while, then you will succeed!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment