Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Binagoongan Baboy From Scratch

I have always wondered how to make Binagoongan Baboy with orange "sauce".

Some said that I should use achuete.  Another friend said the alamang must be full of fat.

I was able to buy fresh alamang from Landmark the other day.  I checked out some YouTube videos on how to ferment the alamang.

The alamang was rinsed in salted water twice, drained and rock salt was added.

1:1 ratio.  For every kilo of alamang, add 1 C. rock salt.

Put it in a glass jar and let it ferment at room temperature for 3 days.


Then I asked my neighbor, Tita Malyne, how to use fermented bagoong from scratch.

She said to rinse it once and to saute in lots of oil with garlic, onions and tomatoes.

It turned out ok but it was a bit salty for my taste.  I did a terrible thing and added 1/2 C. sugar!


Then it tasted like champoy.

Tita said to lessen the salt next time.

I was so excited to experiment with the remaing alamang.  I wanted to cook Binagoongan Baboy!

It came out the way I wanted it!


The Binagoongan Baboy of my dreams!


With orange sauce/oil!!!!!


Binagoongan Baboy From Scratch

1/2 K. Kasim, cut into chunks and boiled until tender

1 onion, chopped

6 cloves garlic, chopped

4 ripe tomatoes, quartered

1/2 C. cooking oil

1/2 C. fermented alamang

1/2 t. rock salt, if needed

1/2 t. freshly cracked black pepper

1 1/2 C. pork stock

2 pcs. green chili

Saute the onions first in the oil.  When it is transparent in color add the garlic.  Continue sauteing until fragrant.

Add the tomatoes and cook until soft and wilted.

Then add the alamang.  Saute for a few minutes and then add the boiled meat.

When it boils, lower heat and let it simmer until the sauce has been reduced.

Add the green chili.

Season with salt and pepper if needed.

I better cook a lot of rice tomorrow!  I already know what kind of rice I like.  Mrs. Lam's Sticky Thai Jasmine rice.

Finally!  I got the recipe right!

The Binagoongan Baboy of my dreams.


No comments:

Post a Comment