Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Very Happy Birthday to Me!

Happy Birthday Lia everyday!   I invited my friends to celebrate my birthday today for lunch.  It was a week long preparation but all worth it... all of it done with love!  I had to think of what to cook that they will enjoy.  Hermie also had a whole week to prepare the house, the plates, flatware, pork barbecue, baked tahong, etc. 

I changed my menu selections several times and finally came up with the following......



My ever reliable so easy Lia's Simple Paella  http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/04/lias-simple-paella.html



Chicken Relleno with Gravy - I was so surprised it turned out so delicious!  http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/04/happy-fiesta-to-me.html



Pork Barbecue



Baked Mussels http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/07/dinner-for-tita-portia-and-her-guests.html




















Waldorf Salad



6 pcs. Fuji Apple
1 can pineapple tidbits
1 pack raisins
1 sachet Lady's Choice Mayonnaise
1 sachet Mayo Magic
Toasted walnuts
Lettuce leaves

Drain the pineapple tidbits.  Mix the mayonnaise and mayo magic in a bowl.  Peel the apples and cut into cubes, add immediately to the mayo mixture to prevent oxidation.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Arrange the lettuce leaves in the salad bowl and put  the Waldorf salad on top of the leaves.

My successful experiment .... Beef Pot Pie - Everybody's favorite!



1.5 K. Beef kalitiran
3 T. soy sauce
3 pcs. peppercorn
3 1/2 C. water

1/2 C. butter
1 C. white onion, chopped
1 big can button mushrooms, cut into 4.
300 g. potatoes, cubed
300 g. carrots, cubed
1 pack frozen peas
1 can Jolly Cream of mushroom soup
1 knorr beef cube
black pepper to taste
1 recipe Pastry crust http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/08/home-baked-apple-pie.html
1 egg yolk

Boil the beef in soy sauce, peppercorn, bay leaves and water for two hours.  Cool then refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours or better yet, over night.  Set aside the broth.

Cut the beef into small cubes.

Saute onions in butter until soft.  Add the cubed beef then the mushrooms.  Pour in the broth, when it boils add the carrots and potatoes.  When the vegetables are tender add the frozen peas.  Dilute the mushroom soup in 1 can of water until it is not lumpy anymore then add to the stew.  Season with Knorr beef cube and pepper.  When the sauce is thick already, transfer into an oven proof dish.  Top with pastry crust, cut slits on top and brush with egg yolk.  Bake at 350F until golden brown.

Jing and Sherman brought the bubbly and Becky's Swiss White Chocolate cake for our dessert.





I do not like to eat cakes or pastries that much, but this is my favorite cake, I had a huge serving!



I am very happy today! All my friends were able to attend.  It has been a long time since the group has been all together because some were abroad for quite a while.  They loved the food!  My Beef Pot Pie experiment was a hit!  Yay!  I have been imagining for weeks how it will taste.

My plate...  YUM!!!!



Oh girls?!?!?  You have made my birthday complete!!!!   Hahahahaha ....  a private joke between us.

Thank you dear friends for making my early birthday celebration a memorable one!  Until next year!!!!

3 comments:

  1. happy birthday lia. you made our tummy very happy.
    your beef pot pie was a hit! i loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky's Swiss CHoco cake!!!!! I MISSSSSSS!! :(

    Happy bday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're welcome "Anonymous" a.k.a. as Mona hehehe.

    Thank you, pink cookies!

    ReplyDelete