Sunday, April 18, 2010

My Thai dinner


My sister and her family are in Bangkok right now. And I must admit I'm a little green with envy!!!! I love Thai food, one of my favorite restaurants is Somboon. Their Curry Crab is very good. Tita Jit taught me how to make it, she sent me papaya grater and chili paste! I can't wait to make curry crab as soon as I get the chili paste.


I've decided that my dinner would be Thai food. I used the Maliputo fish I bought yesterday and cooked Fish in Tamarind sauce. It is like our Filipino version of Escabeche. Sometimes your palette gets bored with food we eat over and over again. So this fish dish is a little different from our usual and at the same time quite familiar to your taste buds.

Fried Fish in Tamarind Sauce





1/2 K. whole fish

2 T. patis

1/2 C. cooking oil

garlic, chopped

onion, chopped

red/yellow pepper, chopped

1 pc. chili or jalapeno, sliced

1 T. Pantai Tamarind paste

3 T. sugar

2 T. patis

1/4 C. water


Score the fish, marinate with patis for 10-15 minutes. Fry in very hot oil, 5 minutes on each side. Put on a platter.

Saute garlic, onion and red pepper.

Mix in a bowl the tamarind paste, sugar, patis and water. Adjust according to your taste. Add to the pan. Simmer until syrupy. Add the chili or jalapeno. Remove from heat and pour over fried fish.


I also made Bagoong fried rice. It complemented the Fish in Tamarind sauce. Rice was salty and Fish was sweet, sour and spicy. My dinner consisted of different flavors!


Bagoong Fried Rice



2 C. day old rice

2 t. cooking oil

1 t. garlic, crushed

2 t. shrimp paste

1 T. brown sugar

Brown the garlic in cooking oil. Add the shrimp paste and stir for a few minutes. Add the rice and brown sugar. Continue stirring until well blended.

Garnish with the following:

2 T. dried hibe, fry in hot oil until crisp.

1/2 yellow-green mango, grated (Use the cheese grater with the big holes.)

Pork tocino, chopped

egg omelet, cut into strips

peanuts, chopped

chili flakes, optional

(Shrimp paste and Tamarind paste)

No comments:

Post a Comment