Sunday, October 13, 2013

A Week with Mona

Mona spent the whole week with me, well almost the whole week.... 6 days out of 7!

We experimented with several recipes!

My most favorite was the Frozen Margarita we got from Martha Stewart's recipe site.

Frozen Margarita

5 C. Ice cubes

3/4 C. Silver Tequila

2/3 C. Lime juice

1/4 C. Simple sugar

Process all the ingredients in the blender.

Serve in salt-rimmed glasses. (Moisten the rim of the glass with lime juice then dip in fine salt).

After consuming about half a pitcher of Margarita, I became trigger happy. I shaved my eyebrows with the shaver I have not seen in months!

Hahahaha it is safe to say, Do NOT drink and shave!

I over did it! My brows became too thin to the point that I have to use an eyebrow pencil!

Sarita told me I should try making mongo soup using Lechon bones for the stock.

I even added the flaked lechon meat! Fried it until crispy and topped the soup with it instead of chicharon.

Our favorite midnight snack.... Raffles Potato Chips, Onion dip with Sour cream and soda!

A picture taken with Tita Coret during KST interaction night.

With my girls.....

With Tita Helen, the employer of my girl, Imelda.

Mona cooked Pancit Sotanghon for Shey.

Hahaha Funny story....

The night before I kept telling Mona, I'm so excited for your Pancit!

Every 5 minutes!

Then she told me to stop it because she was feeling"pressured" already.

I brought out my Farmer's Beef Tapa from the back of the freezer, my secret hiding place, and cooked it, Lia's Style.

Fat and meat separated.... Oil rendered from fat until the fat pieces are crunchy.... Meat fried in fat oil... Then oil poured over the meat and the fat to keep the meat tender.... Like confit!

I felt bad! Mona blotted the oil from the Tapa! It was sacreligious!

I experimented with Pancit Puti. I got the recipe from the YouTube video of Ochie's mom.

Pancit Puti

200 g. Good Life Bihon Noodles, soaked in water for 5 minutes then drained.

1/4 C. Oil

1 head garlic, chopped

1 white onion, chopped

2 C. Broth of chicken and pork bones

1/2 C. Boiled chicken and pork, cut into strips

Patis, to taste

White pepper, to taste

Spring onions

Calamansi

Brown the garlic in oil. Set aside.

Sauté the onions in garlic oil.

Add the boiled pork and chicken.

Season with patis.

Add the Bihon and the broth.

Add a little more water or broth if it gets dry.

Transfer onto a platter. Garnish with brown garlic and spring onions.

Serve with lots of calamansi.

I baked Chocolate Chip Cookies today.

It is my contribution to the food sale of St. Peter and Paul via Tita Lulu.

I cooked Bagoong Fried Rice for Corry, Mona's sister, tonight.

She ordered BBQ from Amber's and Fish in Taosi Sauce for Tita Cena at RK Garden.

It was a tiring week but I am very happy I had a partner in food crime!

I need to rest though because my voice is very hoarse at the moment. I only experience it when I am so tired.

I cannot wait for the next week! I do not know what will happen but I am very positive it will be a good one!

Keeping my fingers crossed and praying to God.

 

6 comments:

  1. In the YouTube tutorial, Lucina added shrimp in the boiling of the chicken breast and pork meat. I noticed you don't have it listed in your recipe. Btw, thank you for posting it in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I probably didn't have shrimps when I cooked the Pancit Puti.

      Delete
    2. I have to ask, did Ochie say that your recipe was spot on? My apologies about being anal but I've never had this type of pancit before so I can only go by other blogs/YouTube videos and they always vary in flavor depending on the chef's tastes and I prefer the authentic version (yes, I know.. I'm sorry) over others and since I don't live in the PI I have no idea LSS's tastes like. You are extremely lucky to have taste their dish so you would know exactly what ingredients it has and its texture. As you can tell, I am obsessed with this dish.

      Delete
    3. Hello! I think Ochie said it passed her standards!

      Delete
    4. Thank you Lia! I just made this today and everyone loved it. I did have to make a few minor adjustment to the broth since the broth I bought contained less sodium (health reasons) and added salt as I needed. I think next time I would add chicken bouillon to the broth to give it that extra umph. I was surprised how easy the prep work was! So much so that I plan to make this again and give some to my favorite brother. :) Thank you once again Lia! You are a godsend!

      Delete
    5. You're welcome! I am so glad it turned out to be a success.

      Delete