Thursday, June 21, 2012

Stir-fried Broccoli, Carrots and Mushrooms with Beef

I was surprised to see that my weight went down by 4 lbs. since I started the wheat free diet last Monday.  Although my FBS (fasting blood sugar) went up by 16 points today.  I hope tomorrow I get better results.

I normally just eat 2 eggs for breakfast, scrambled (Monday), soft-boiled (Tuesday), omelette (Wednesday) and hard-boiled this morning.

I bought broccoli in the supermarket and had Stir-fried Broccoli, Carrots and Mushrooms with Beef for dinner.  I did not use any thickener anymore.  It turned out ok.

Stir-fried Broccoli, Carrots and Mushrooms with Beef



140 gr. beef sirloin, sliced into strips across the grain
1 T. soy sauce
1 t. sugar
1 t. cooking oil
few dashes of sesame oil
pepper

Marinate the beef in soy sauce, sugar, cooking and sesame oil for 30 minutes.  Heat a frying pan, then tip in the beef and marinade.  Cook until the beef is not pink anymore and set aside.

broccoli, cut into florets
1 carrot, roll cut ( how to )
mushrooms, cut into half
1 t. oil
1 clove garlic, minced
4 thin slices of ginger

Dissolve 1/4 t. rock salt and 1 t. sugar in 1/4 C. water

1 t. sesame oil

Heat the oil in a wok, saute the ginger and garlic, add the broccoli, carrots and mushrooms.  Keep tossing the vegetables for about 30 seconds. 

Add the water with salt and sugar, cover the wok for 1 minute. 

Uncover, then add the beef with its cooking liquid. 

Drizzle the sesame oil before serving.

My food yesterday was Beef Shortribs Sinigang without using Knorr Sinigang Mix, just fresh tamarind pods. 

Beef Shortribs Sinigang



1/2 K. beef shortribs
200 gr. fresh tamarind pods boiled in 1 cup water until pulpy
2 pcs. tomatoes, sliced
1 onion, sliced
rock salt
patis
radish
eggplant
kangkong leaves
jalapeno peppers
1/2 t. sugar in lieu of MSG

Boil beef in the pressure cooker with 3 C. water for an hour.  Add the tomatoes and onion.  When the tomatoes are soft, mash with the back of the spoon then add the strained pulpy tamarind.  You may add a bit more water if desired.

Add the radish, when half cooked, add the eggplant slices.

When the vegetables are cooked, season with patis, rock salt and sugar. 

Add the kangkong leaves, cover and cook for exactly 1 minute. 

Serve with kalamansi, patis and crushed jalapeno peppers from the sinigang.

I thought to myself, when we were younger, we ate food without those instant mixes and seasonings.  I had to add a little sugar in lieu of MSG which I WAS a fan of but not at the moment.  MSG contains wheat according to the Wheat Belly book.

Last Tuesday, I made Ginataang Chicken Soup.  Well, it was just like your regular Chicken Tinola but used coconut milk instead of water.

I am not  very happy lately because I cannot eat what I like, which are junk foods like Cheetos Jalapeno and Ruffles Sour Cream and Cheddar with ice-cold Coke Light but ..... I also do not feel hungry!!! 

Amazing that my hunger pangs were gone. 

As I mentioned, I only had 2 hard-boiled eggs with a little butter, salt and pepper this morning and just about 100 grams of Lechon with no rice for lunch.  Normally by 2 or 3 pm I would go out of my head already with imagined hunger but not today.

I do have a little confession .... I should have eaten it before I started last Monday but I gave in to a moment of weakness today, not because I was hungry, but because I could not get it out of my mind!  Lisa has been telling me how she loves the Domino's Thin Crust Cheese Pizza! 



I ordered the 7 inch pizza!!!  (That was my Kuya's 12 inch pizza, I got my own personal size.)

The crust was really thin and crispy like crackers.



To compound the problem, I also viewed Tita Jit's video of the Shakey's Grand Slam Pizza!!!

Did it make me happy? NO!  I do not even like pizza but I just had to eat it.  I actually hate myself right now.  If I can just barf it all out, I would gladly do it.

I hope my numbers do not get worse tomorrow and if they do, I know it was my fault.

P.S. Dr. Davis was right.  He said if I eat any food with wheat, after not indulging for  while, I will suffer the consequences.  I already made several trips to the bathroom that is why I am still up at 3:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment