Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Wheat Belly

I recently bought a book upon the recommendation of my other sister.  She wants to remain nameless and location less but she has been living overseas for the past 12 years.  She told me to get a copy of Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis.



I went to Fullybooked, Rockwell and bought the book.  I already read it once and going through it again.  I normally make mistakes in understanding new diets.

One time, I thought I was allowed to eat the allowable food portions per meal, but after a few weeks, I was gaining weight and when I read the instructions again, I was suppose to consume the allotted portions for the whole day and not per meal!!!  LOL

I am more careful now.  I am looking at this book at a diabetic's point of view. From what I understood from Dr. Davis, a cardiologist, he said that WHEAT in the diet will make blood sugar spike.    He said that eating two slices of whole wheat bread can increase blood sugar more than 2 tablespoons of pure sugar can.



And the lifesaver you are carrying around your waist? The visceral fat that you have been trying to remove by thousands and thousands of crunches???  Well, he said, if you go on a wheat free diet, your belly will become FLAT!!!!

Dr. Davis also said that wheat free diet has been associated with significant benefits including:

  • Weight loss of 20, 30, and even 50 pounds in the first few months
  • Alleviation of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes
  • Recovery from intestinal woes, like ulcerative colitis and celiac disease
  • Marked improvement in overall cholesterol and LDL counts
  • Improvement in bone density and reversal of osteopenia
  • Cessation of skin conditions from psoriasis to oral ulcers and hair loss
  • Reduction of inflammation and rheumatoid arthritis pain
I have a lot of points I want to share but then I do not want this to a very long book report so I highlighted the most important things, such as.... What CAN I eat and What can I NOT eat?

The Wheat Belly Nutritional Approach for Optimal Health by Dr. William Davis.

Consume in unlimited quantities.  That means no weighing nor counting!!!!

Vegetables - except potatoes and corn, including mushrooms, herbs, squash

Raw nuts - almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts, pistachios, cashews, macadamias; peanuts (boiled or dry roasted); sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, nut meals.

Oils   - extra-virgin olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, cocoa butter, flax seed, macadamia, sesame

Meats and eggs - Saturated fat was never the problem .  Carbohydrates in combination with saturated fat will cause LDL particles to skyrocket.  (Fish, beef, poultry, turkey, pork, shellfish, wild game and eggs.)

Dairy products  - Enjoy cheese but make sure and check the label if it does not contain wheat, most processed cheese are.  Best choices are mozzarella, Parmesan, Swiss or cheddar.  Other kinds of cheese such as blue, Gorgonzola, Roquefort are fermented using a mold from bread so this cannot be consumed.

Non-sugary condiments - mustards, horseradish, tapenades, salsa, mayonnaise, vinegars, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, chili and pepper sauces

Others - flax seed (ground), avocados, olives, coconut, spices, cocoa (unsweetened) or cacao

Eat in limited quantities

Fruits - berries are the best: blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, cranberries and cherries.
Be careful of the most sugary fruits including pineapple, papaya, mango and banana. 

Non-cheese dairy  - milk, cottage cheese, yogurt, butter

Whole corn - (not to be confused with cornmeal or cornstarch, which should be avoided).

Fruit juices

Non-wheat, non gluten grains  - quinoa, millet, sorghum, teff, amaranth, buckwheat, rice (white and brown), oats, wild rice

Legumes (beans)

Soy products  - tofu, tempeh, miso, natto; edamame, soybeans

Consume rarely or never.

Wheat products - wheat based breads, pasta, noodles, cookies, cakes, pies, cupcakes, breakfast cereals, pancakes, waffles, pita, couscous; rye, bulgur, triticale, kamut, barley

*Includes the Communion wafer

Unhealthy oils - fried, hydrogenated, polyunsaturated (especially corn, sunflower, safflower, grape seed, cottonseed, soybean)

Gluten-free foods - specifically those made with cornstarch, rice starch, potato starch or tapioca starch

Dried fruits - figs, dates, prunes, raisins, cranberries

Fried Foods

Sugary snacks - candies, ice cream, sherbet, fruit roll-ups, craisins, energy bars

Sugary fructose-rich sweeteners - agave syrup or nectar, honey, maple syrup, high-fructose corn syrup, sucrose

Sugary condiments - jellies, jams, preserves, ketchup (if contains sucrose or high-fructose corn syrup), chutney

Last Saturday, Jing and Mariger were in my house and I was reading to them what they should not eat if they want to have a flat abdomen, which they were complaining about for ages!  

Hahahahaha... Then Jing, who is always as cool as a cucumber and epitome of calmness suddenly became hysterical and said... well ... rather screamed: WHAT?!?!?!?!  You will not allow me to eat PIZZA?!?!?!?!

So, I answered back: JING!!!!  I am just reading a page from my book! I did NOT say, you cannot have pizza anymore!!

Hahahahahahaha!  Then when it was Mariger's turn to be outraged, she said: WHAT?!?!?! I CANNOT eat prunes anymore??!?!?!?     Hahahahaha  PRUNES???? 

I never realized that reading a page from my book will trigger such violent reactions.

Incidentally, my Fasting Blood Sugar average for the past 14 days is 160!!!!!  I never had that results in years!  Still, I do not know how that happened but I am grateful it is happening to me.

Today is my 2nd day of the wheat-free diet.  So far so good.  I hope this will help me lower my blood sugar even more.

There is more to this Wheat Bellly book ... I hope to share more as I embark on this journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment