Friday, May 18, 2012

Banana Cubana

What is Banana Cubana???? 



I got the idea from a friend who has eaten a stuffed saba banana with meat.  I figured ... hey ... what if I stuff a banana with the meat of arroz ala Cubana?  

I experimented .... cooked the ground meat as I would for arroz ala cubana.

1 C. ground beef
1 C. ground pork
garlic, chopped
onion, chopped
2 T. raisins, chopped
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. soy sauce
1 t. Knorr seasoning
1/2 t. msg
1/2 C. water

Saute the garlic and onion in oil.  Add the ground meat, when it is brown already, add the rest of the ingredients.  Continue cooking until the liquid evaporates. Drain.



Slit the VERY RIPE saba banana like a hot dog bun but not all the way through.  Stuff with the meat. 



Dip in batter and the deep-fry.

Batter ( from a magazine recipe)

1/2 C. flour
3/4 C. water
dash of salt

It was just an experiment but I loved it! Maybe next time, I can try stuffing the saba with uncooked meat but I am just afraid it will be raw on the inside while the banana is already cooked.

It tasted like empanada but instead of  a doughy crust, saba was used. 



Perfect for merienda with ice cold Coke!

7 comments:

  1. winner to Li!!! - cath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cath ... really good! I could not stop eating. Lagot! LOL It is not yet perfect ... I am still in search for that very ripe saba... then I know it would be so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ive been hooked since this morning reading your food adventure. Will try your recipes since my husband complains that our menu is so predictable hehe- happy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ps. Thank u so much for being generous in sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! You are very welcome. I am very happy to share my recipes with everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing Lia.I wil try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I hope it turns out the way you like it!

      Delete