Thursday, October 9, 2014

Fresh Chinese Lumpia

Today's experiment was the Fresh Chinese Lumpia with homemade wrapper.

I served it on the "Lumpia Bar".

How to assemble a Lumpia.....

Lay the egg wrapper on a plate.

Put 1-2 lettuce leaves on the center of the wrapper.

Add 2 T. Peanut/ Sugar

Put 1/2 C. of the filling on the lettuce leaf.

Sprinkle with fried Bihon and chopped nori.

Fold the 2 sides toward the center.

Ladle sauce over it, sprinkle more peanuts/sugar and chopped garlic.

Lumpia Filling

1/4 C. cooking oil

1 head garlic, chopped - divided into 2 portions (one for sautéing and one for garnishing)

1 onion, sliced

1/4 K. ground pork

250 g. carrots, cut into strips

500 g. Singkamas, cut into strips

2 squares Tokwa, cut into strips

250 g. Cabbage, shredded

2 t. Knorr Chicken Powder

Pepper

1/4 shrimp juice or water

50 g. Bihon, deep fried and drained

2 T. Chopped nori leaves

Green ice lettuce

1/2 C. crushed peanuts

1/2 C. white sugar

(Combine sugar and peanuts in a bowl.)

Saute garlic and onions in cooking oil until wilted over low fire.

Add the ground pork and cook until the pork is no longer pink.

Add the carrots followed by the singkamas.

Add the tokwa, Knorr Chicken powder and shrimp juice or water.

Season with pepper.

Lastly, add the cabbage and cook until crisp tender.

Lumpia Wrapper

1 C. Cornstarch

1 C. Water

1 egg, beaten

1 t. cooking oil

1-2 drops of yellow food coloring (optional)

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.

Grease and heat a non stick pan.

Pour 1/3 C. of the lumpia batter and swirl around the pan.

When the edges start to lift from the pan,slowly lift the wrapper and transfer onto a plate. Put a piece of wax paper in between layers.

Another way would be to put the wax paper on the top of the wrapper while still in the pan then flip over a plate. This method works best for me.

Lumpia Sauce

1/2 C. brown sugar

1/4 C. soy sauce

1 C. water

2-3 T. cornstarch dissolved in 3 T. water.

Boil sugar, soysauce and water in a sauce pan.

Add the cornstarch slurry when the brown sugar has been dissolved.

Let it boil until thick but pourable.

I love experimenting when I have willing guinea pigs.

Thank Goodness, Jing, Sherman and Mona were here for lunch.

Sherman is an expert at grilling pork liempo.

I loved the marinade of their liempo.

Mona cooked the steamed shrimps.

Soooooo fresh and I sucked the juice from the head!!!!

She also bought my favorite ice cream, Magnolia's Best, Coffee Crumble.

I was really very full from lunch!

When Sherman and Jing left, I switched on my ice cold air conditioner in my room, turned off the lights and slept so deeply I did not even hear the phone and viber messages I received while I was snoring the afternoon away!

I rarely take mid-day naps except when I am sick.

So, I am still wondering up to now why I felt so sleepy!

I am used to taking high dosage of antihistamines but I was not knocked out cold after taking them.

Unlike today.... Literally... Lights Out!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment