Sunday, November 25, 2012

Saturday Food Experiments

Saturday lunch is reserved for my family.  I was able to experiment with  several new delicious food today.

My first experiment was the Grilled Spareribs I ate at Mayette's house.  She was kind enough to share her recipe with me.  My family loved it!  Thanks, Mayette!

(I do not know how to rotate the pictures when it is already uploaded on my blog.)

Mayette's Grilled Spareribs


1 K. spareribs
3/4 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. UFC banana ketchup
1/2 C. pineapple juice
2 T. Datu Puti soy sauce
1 t. Knorr seasoning
1/2 t. garlic, minced
1 t. pepper
1 t. fine salt, (Mayette said it should be 1 T. but I was afraid it would be too salty.)
water to cover the meat

Mix all the ingredients in a pot.  Let it boil and then lower the heat.  Cook until meat is tender.

Grill the ribs and brush with the sauce.

* Let the sauce reduce in the pan until thick.

Another experiment was the grilled squid I learned in Boracay.  I wanted to get the big squid called lumot but I was not able to find one at the market.

Boracay's Basting Sauce for grilled food


2 T. butter, melted
4 cloves garlic, minced finely
2 T. Knorr Seasoning
3 pcs. calamansi, juice of
1 T. brown sugar

Mix all the ingredients and use it to baste grilled seafood or meat.

I also grilled the Jumbo Longanisa I bought in Boracay.  It was really good, even my brother-in-law, Butch liked it.  The vendor said it is better to grill than pan-fry.


Our dessert was Glazed Sweet Potatoes


1/2 K. sweet potatoes, cubed and boiled
1 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. water
2 T. butter

Boil the brown sugar and water until syrupy.

Grease the bottom of an oven-proof dish.

Dip each sweet potato cube in the syrup.

Pour the rest of the syrup over the sweet potatoes.

Dot with butter.

Bake at 400F for about 10 minutes or until the syrup coats the sweet potatoes.

Hermie cooked the Chicken Sotanghon soup because I was busy grilling outdoors.

Mona and I attended the birthday celebration of Auntie Pat, Mom's best friend since high school.  I had to drive alllllll the way to Loyola Grand Villa.  Good thing the traffic was not bad tonight.

I felt a little nostalgic.  The 2 best friends of my Mom, Auntie Pat and Auntie Alice, are still alive and seemed to be in good health.  


Uncle Bert, husband of Auntie Alice, was still belting out oldies but goodies tunes.


It makes me feel sad sometimes because her friends miss her very much.  In the weeks that followed after my mom passed away, they would call and share their pain and sorrow with me.  I wish my mom lived a little bit longer so she could have enjoyed her twilight years with them.

Even the other guests expressed their longing for my mom.  While we were getting food at the buffet, one of her classmates said, "I miss Lydia!!!!" when she saw the lechon. 

Mom!!!  Do not feel bad!  I was your representative! I asked the waiter who was chopping the Elar's lechon to give me crunchy skin with fat!  He gave me a wide strip!!!!  That made up for everything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment