Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Welcome Home, Mimi and Sammy!

Mimi and Sammy are cousins from Vancouver and they just arrived in the Philippines to be with their parents.



I invited them for lunch and cooked Filipino food.

I also invited Mona, Marianne, Sarita. and Catherine.



I made Kansi,



a Visayan soup made with Batuan as a souring agent which I bought in Boracay last week.



I was so glad Marianne was able to join us because she loves Kansi! The last time I posted a picture in FB, she mentioned she wanted some!

I cooked Binagoongan Baboy and used the bagoong alamang Mayette gave me from Bataan.



I also baked the Tamarind Chicken which I learned from Mayette when I attended the birthday celebration of Kiel and Joy.

Baked Tamarind Chicken



1.2 K. Magnolia Chicken
1 T. rock salt
freshly cracked peppercorn
200 g. fresh tamarind pods
1-2 T. olive oil
1 bunch fresh tamarind leaves (Mona got them from her neighbor in Alabang.)



Rub salt and pepper inside and outside the chicken.

Stuff with tamarind pods and leaves.

Scatter the remaining tamarind pods and leaves around the chicken in the baking pan.

Drizzle with olive oil.

Bake at 350F for an hour.

Increase the heat to 400F and brown for 10 minutes or so.

Let chicken rest for 20 minutes before chopping.  I used a pair of kitchen scissors to cut up the chicken.



Mash the tamarind in the baking pan and pour the juices over the chopped chicken.

I also made Chicken Breast Relleno.



I did not want to make the whole chicken relleno because I already have the baked chicken.  Jing said, I should take pictures to show the procedure.  Sorry, I cannot share the recipe because it is in Lia's Food List.

Debone and flatten the chicken breast.  Marinate the chicken over night.  Lay the chicken skin side down on a well-buttered foil.

Spread the filling on top of the chicken breast.



Roll like a jelly roll.



Mimi and Sammy brought goodies from DECS....

Smoked Duck



Kikiam



Buco Pandan

They also brought the crispy liempo from Chooks to Go.



Mona made Ginataang Mais and everybody loved it!



Catherine brought the shank for the Kansi.

I am very happy my guests enjoyed the food!



Well .... I hope they did!  Hahahaha! I was too busy eating I did not notice!

Welcome Home, Mimi and Sammy!

No comments:

Post a Comment