Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Tempura craving

I was a little off track today with the diet but still with the program - No rice, bread, potatoes and red meat.

I don't know why I suddenly had this craving for tempura today.  I was willing to go all the way to Dampa in Macapagal or Ortigas Home depot just to eat.   I was surfing the net where to eat the best tempura in town, some suggested Dampa, Tempura Japanese Grill, Inaguki - Makati Shangrila Hotel and a few more restos.

I was so desperate I went to Rockwell, prepared to eat at Zaifu even if I find their Ebi Tempura just so - so.  When I got there, the place was full.  I just decided to go to Rustan's and buy medium sized prawns. 

I have to admit, I make one of the best tempuras in town but I rarely serve it to my guests unless I LOVE them very, very, very, very much! hahahaha  Because it is so hard to prepare and I get so hot and sweaty while frying.  The only person I would wholeheartedly  cook it for is my nephew, Nicky. 

Ebi Tempura


Prawns, underside slashed in zigzag to prevent curling
Kasugai Tempura Batter mix (available in SM, Rustan's or Landmark)
ice cold water
cooking oil for deep frying

Prepare batter when the oil is hot.  Sprinkle tempura batter mix on the prawns and roll until completely covered.  I do not follow the recipe at the back of the box because the batter is too thick.  I just combine ice water and the batter mix until I get I a thin to medium consistency (pourable and not thick like pancake batter).  Dip the batter mix covered prawns in the batter and drop slowly into the frying pan.  Drizzle  little of the batter over the prawns to get the lacy effect.

Tempura sauce

1 tsp. dashi powder (Rustan's or Japanese grocery)
1/2 C. water
1-2 t. mirin
1 T. Kikkoman

Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan.  Cook over medium heat until it ALMOST boils.

1 T. radish, grated and squeezed
1 t. ginger, grated and squeezed

Turn off heat and add the grated radish and ginger.

Since I can not eat the tempura with rice (Oh so yum with white sticky rice!!!), I cooked mixed vegetables using my iron stove top grill-flat side as opposed to the ridged side of the griller.


1 t. cooking oil
1 t. butter or margarine
garlic, chopped
onion, sliced
togue
carrot, julienned
red and green pepper strips
cabbage
1 t. Kikkoman

I already know how to make omelette!  Hahaha  I mean omelette that does not fall apart.  I had Asparagus Cheese Omelette for breakfast.


No comments:

Post a Comment