Thursday, October 4, 2012

Wheat-free: Fresh Mushroom Soup

FBS: 110

I love going to Farmer's Market!

They have everything, well, almost everything I need!  A few of my friends started ordering from me already and I bought most of the ingredients in Cubao today.  I have a standing order of Butter Garlic Shrimps with Orange Sauce tomorrow, 2 trays of Paella on Sunday and I will bring Fried Lumpiang Ubod on Saturday as my contribution to the celebration of the feast of St. Francis the Assisi, Patron Saint of Bel-Air Sub-Parish 3.  I am the Street Leader for Zodiac.

As I was checking out the produce in the market, I saw fresh mushrooms and bought a quarter of a kilo.  I was thinking already of the mushroom soup Tita Tess was telling me about sometime ago.  I do not buy the canned cream soups anymore because of the sodium content and other artificial ingredients they add to it.

Fresh Mushroom Soup


1/4 K. fresh Shitake Mushrooms, stems removed and sliced


2 T. butter
white onions, chopped
garlic, minced
3 C. chicken stock (use chicken bones for the stock with salt and pepper)
1 small can Alaska milk
salt
freshly cracked pepper
grated Parmesan, optional

Melt butter in a pot.
Add the onions and saute over low heat for 10 minutes until soft and translucent.
Add the garlic and the mushrooms, saute for an additional 5-10 minutes.
Pour the soup stock and let it boil for 10 minutes.
Transfer into a blender or use an immersion blender if you have one.  Return the pureed soup to the pot.
Simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
Add the milk and continue cooking for another 5 minutes.  Do not let it boil or else it will curdle.
Season with salt and pepper.
Top with grated Parmesan cheese if you like.

Wow!

I really loved my soup!!!  I finished it all!  I thought I would just have one serving but I could not stop myself.  

I did not eat anything but the soup so, I guess that was ok.

I spent the afternoon cooking again.  I love the cool weather when I am cooking in my kitchen because I do not perspire.  I cannot switch on the fan because the flame of the stove will die.  I refuse to use the air-conditioner in my kitchen because my electric bill will go up!  Hahahahaha! I just did not have walls anymore to put the extra AC that is why there is one in my kitchen.

I cooked the filling for the Fried Lumpiang Ubod.


Mayette got me the bagoong from Bataan!  I made Binagoongan Baboy and used a lot of F-A-T for PD!!!!


I asked her if it was all right with her or should I give her lean meat.  She said: NO! I do not like meat.

So...... PD had Binagoongan FAT!


OMG! I am so afraid for her but it is something she really likes.  What can I do?

This is the famous "Ginataang Langka" that Wriggly "ate" the other day.  I asked Hermie to cook again for Mona.


As soon as Hermie placed the dish on the dining table, Wriggly started barking as if to say, Hey!!! That's my new favorite food!!!!  How was he able to tell that it was Ginataang Langka??? He could not see it for sure. And he never barks at most of the food that we put on the table.  Boggles the mind.

I do love to cook... it excites me... wondering how an experiment would turn out.  Sometimes, I would be successful, other times.... not at all.  But what is important is that I had fun! Practice makes perfect.  I would not stop until I get it right.

Hmmmm .... I think Wriggly got that trait from me!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment