Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Sans Rival

I baked Sans Rival for Ate Gina and her husband Kuya Butch for their birthdays, Dec 15 and 19.  It's their most favorite pastry in the entire world!  Ate sent me a text message:  "It was really delicious, we all liked it!"

I used to be so intimidated with the thought of baking Sans Rival ... but I discovered it was so easy!!! The secret is GLAD Bake (a very useful tip from Tita Letty Alonzo, mom of Mayette) ... it's a non stick paper... the wafers really just slid off . 

Sans Rival (adapted from The Maya Kitchen Cookbook)


Meringue wafer

1 C. egg whites
1 C. white sugar
1 C. cashew, chopped finely
1/2 t. vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 325 F.  Line the backs of the  baking pans with GLAD Bake paper (six 9-inch square/round pans or four 9x13 pans).

Beat eggwhites until frothy.  Add sugar gradually, continue beating until stiff.  Fold in chopped nuts and vanilla.  Bake for 30-40 minutes until light brown or 1 hour for the 9 x 13 pan. Remove from pan while still warm.  Cool on wire racks.

Buttercream

1 1/2 C. Butter, unsalted
9 egg yolks
1 1/2 C. white sugar
1/2 C. water
1 C. cashew, roasted and chopped coarsely

Boil sugar and water until thread-like in consistency.  Beat egg yolks until lemon colored.  Add syrup, continue beating until smooth.  Set aside and cool completely.

Cream butter until fluffy, add in egg yolk mixture. Beat until creamy, about 1 minute.  Refrigerate until ready to use.

Place one meringue wafer onto a platter. Spread buttercream and top with another wafer.  Repeat procedure for the remaining wafers and cream.  Frost all over and generously sprinkle with chopped roasted cashew.  Freeze over night before serving.

8 comments:

  1. Hi lia! Thanks for this. I've been wanting to make sans rival but always thought it's a pain in the _ss. Is glad bake a parchment paper? 'cause i bought some parchment paper at walmart but never used it yet.

    Also, i dont have a lot of pans but i have a big baking pan like 11 x 17... Not sure of dimension but its big. Can i use that instead and the just cut the baked Meringue wafers to smaller size? or do you it will break?

    So it is using uncooked eggyolk for the cream? Hhmmmn..interesting! Hindi ba dapat niluluto ang any egg product for safety? Just asking! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi BAM,

    Sorry for the late comment. Been very busy baking.

    The egg yolks are not really raw ... you have to pour very hot syrup while beating.

    Nooo you don't break apart the wafer to make smaller cakes. What I did the other day was I used a cookie scooper, then flattened into flat discs. Was able to make 4 little cakes.

    GLAD bake is like parchement paper but thicker and glossier.

    I hope my comments help! Happy baking. I'm going to bake again another one for my Kuya's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lia,

    I finally tried this recipe today. It was a pain spreading the egg white mixture but I was able to do it. One wafer got burnt because I put it on the bottom rack near the source of heat and one was softer 'cause i kept putting it out for fear of burning 'case I just used a small thins toaster pan for the remaining mixture.

    Anyway, I could still make use of the wafers. I just cut them while still warm so it didn't really break so that way I have more layers. My problem though is the butter cream. It seems watery and not solid. It's in the fridge right now. I'm waiting for it to solidify. I used "I can't believe it's NOt butter" instead of real butter. Is this the reason why it's watery, you think? Also, I kept mixing the egg yolk mixture while waiting for it to cool down. Could that be the cause?

    I hope I don't have to do it over ' cause I used organic eggs...sayang naman! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me correct that. It's not really watery but the consistency is not what I expected based on the butter cream on other sans rival. It is not as thick as other cream. Im still waiting for it to solidify more in the fridge but its' been about 2 hours now. It's thicker all right but still not as thick. What did i do wrong? :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bam,

    Use an offset spatula, easier to spread the egg white.

    Hmmm thats not real butter so maybe that is the reason it is soft.

    maybe the syrup is too thin?

    You are supposed to cool the egg yolk mixture before adding to the butter or else it wil be too runny???

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is an offset spatula? The metal one? I only have rubber spatula right now. :-)

    The "I can't believe it's not butter" has the same consistency of real butter. I think my syrup is the culprit. You're right it was too thin and I put it too soon.

    I tried another recipe for the buttercream though as I find your recipe (or Maya Kitchen's) too sweet and sinful (9 yolks!). Sorry! :-) It still has the same ingredients, only less yolk and less sugar. I got it from my Mom.

    The first try was a disaster! The fire alarm broke out bec I burned the syrup this second time as I'm afraid I might be putting it when still too thin. I even have a fork to test the consistency. My mom's recipe uses 1 whole egg and 2 yolks, 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water and 1/2 tsp vanilla added at the end. It was brown and tasted burnt. hahaha. There goes 3 eggs and a cup of sugar.

    I didn't want to quit just like that. What will I do with all the wafers I made yesterday? :-) So the third time, I was careful. and voila! I made it! Whew! :-)

    One thing though on your recipe I kept double checking if I should sprinkle the coarse cashew on every layer and I didn't think it was stated so I didn't. I ended up with more left over cashew. Is there a technique to sprinkle the cashew on the sides?

    I have yet to taste my first sans rival. It's still in the freezer. I'll let you know how it goes. Again, thank you so much for this.

    i took a picture of my first ever sans rival. :-) It's small.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Btw, to hasten the cooling period of the yolk and syrup mixture, I put my mixing bowl on top of another bowl full of ice, and it worked. :-) Patience is not one of my virtues. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lia!

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete