Friday, February 9, 2018

My Bibingka Obsession

My title sounds like a telenovela!

Well, in a way, it is! I mean a telenovela.  Happy and sad moments.  When I have an obsession, I will not stop experimenting until I get it right.


The bibingka I like is soft and fluffly like a hotcake.

My first attempt at bibingka.  I baked it in the oven and used parchment paper.


It was a bit dense and too cake like for my taste. But for a first try, at least, it was edible.


2nd attempt was oven baked and grilled.  I used banana leaves this time.


I cooked it for my friends.


My 3rd attempt did not even merit a picture taking.  It was like tamales.

When I went to Farmers Market the other day I was not able to buy the "bibingka maker".  I was in a whiny mood because it was out of stock.

Do you know what happens when I could not get what I want?

I would mope all day and "cry" I want the bibingka maker but it's out of stock!

Over and over and over.

Yaya Hermie took pity on me.  When I woke up yesterday this was what greeted me in the morning!!!!


A DIY bibingka maker!  She brought out the brick stove I bought several years ago in one of those food fairs in World Trade Center.

She bought me a clay "baking pan".  Then she used my old baking pan, put holes using an ice pick then got the wire hanger from a hanging plant.

Yaya Hermie loves me!!!

So this afternoon, Mariger and I with the help of Hermie cooked Bibingka!




I think I got it right this time!!!


For me it was perfect! Just the way I like it!

Bibingka

1 C. rice flour (not glutinous)
1/2 C. white sugar
1 T. melted Daricreme or butter but I prefer Daricreme margarine
1 T. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
200 ml. Kara coconut milk
3 large eggs

wilted banana leaves
red eggs, sliced
kesong puti
butter and sugar

In a bowl cream margarine and sugar.

Add eggs one at a time then add the coconut milk.

Combine all the dry ingredients then add to the bowl.  Use a stick blender and process for 1 minute or 2.

Prepare your bibingka maker. Line the clay pan with 2 sheets of banana leaves.

Pour 1/2 C. of the batter then top with sliced red eggs and kesong puti.

"Bake" for 3-5 minutes.  It is done when you insert a toothpick and nothing sticks to it.

Spread butter on top of the cooked bibingka and sprinkle with sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment