Saturday, October 11, 2014

Bad Habit

One of the reasons why I cannot sleep at night is because I have a bad habit of browsing online for recipes.

Then..... I would get hungry and indulge in midnight snacks, literally at 12:00 am!

One of my midnight snacks was Candied Walnuts!

1 C. Walnuts

1/4 C. White sugar

1 T. Butter

Toast the walnuts in a frying pan. Add the sugar and butter. Toss with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon until the sugar has melted and has caramelized.

Transfer onto a silicone mat or parchment paper. Separate pieces with a fork. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Last night, the midnight snack was leftover Daing na Bangus and Aligue rice.

That was why I slept at 6 :00 am!

I experimented on some of the recipes online but I did not eat them as midnight snacks.

Champorado from scratch was so easy to make!

Imagine, all my life... I have been eating White King Champorado mix!

Champorado

1/2 C. Malagkit rice, washed and drained

5 C. Water

4 pcs. Malagos Tablea diluted in 1/2 C. Hot water

1/2 C. White sugar

Evaporated milk

Boil water, add the washed malagkit rice. Stir ocassionally and cook until the rice is translucent.

Add the diluted Malagos Tablea and sugar.

Add more water if the Champorado becomes too thick.

Serve with evaporated milk and fried tuyo.

Experiment #2 was the Oyster Cake.

Oyster Cake

1/4 C. Cooking oil

1 C. Oysters, removed from shells

1/4 C. Green onions, cut into 1 inch length

1/2 C. Togue

1 t. Salt

1/2 t. White pepper

1 C. Cassava starch

2 eggs, beaten

Mix the oysters, togue, green onions, salt and pepper in a bowl.

Add the cassava starch.

Heat a non-stick frying pan with oil. Put the oyster mixture in the pan, spreading it evenly.

Pour beaten eggs.

When it starts to set, flip the cake over and cook until the egg is not runny anymore.

Transfer onto a plate.

Garnish with wansuy leaves and serve with Sriracha sauce.

Experiment #3

Ginataang Lanka

1 K. Langka

Garlic, crushed

Onion, sliced

Ginger, thumb-sized, pounded

2 siling haba

4 C. Coconut milk

3 T. Patis

1 C. Coconut cream

12 pcs. Shrimps

Put the Langka, garlic, onions, luya and coconut milk in a pot or wok-like pan.

When the coconut milk boils, lower heat. Cover and cook for 30 minutes over low-medium heat.

Season with patis.

Add the shrimps and coconut cream.

Cook until the shrimps change its color.

Experiment #4

Pinangat na Sapsap sa Calamansi

1/2 K. Sapsap

3 T. Calamansi juice

1 t. Salt

1 T. Cooking oil.

Place the fish in a pan. Add calamansi, salt and cooking oil.

Cover and cook for 7 minutes.

Transfer onto a serving dish.

I ate it with garlic rice...

And dipped the fish in bagoong isda sauted in oil with browned garlic.

Experiment #5

Poached Egg

Strain the egg whites using a mesh strainer.

Slowly drop into simmering water. Remove with a slotted spoon and dry on a kitchen towel.

Experiment #6

Honey Mustard Dressing - 1 serving

1 t. Olive oil

1 t. Honey vinegar

1 t. Honey

1/2 t. Spicy brown mustard.

Mix all the ingredients in a bowl and pour over salad greens.

I ate it with Hungarian Sausage with Cheese and I also cooked home-made fries.

I really should kick off the bad habit of browsing recipes online before going to bed but..... I learned so much from researching at night!

Maybe I can browse at midnight but I should not eat anymore!!!!

That's an idea!

 

 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lia, I discovered your blog 3 days ago while googling for buko pandan recipe. I am now your brand new avid fan :).
    I like champorado too, it's one of my comfort food. I use malagkit and add strips of ripe langka to it.
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Grace! Thank you for reading my blog. I hope you enjoy the recipes!

      Delete
    2. I do, I do enjoy your blog. I hope you don't stop sharing, Lia.

      Delete