Sunday, April 11, 2010

Tempura

I understand now why tempura is expensive when you dine out. You pay hundreds of pesos for a few pieces. Because it is quite a long process. So, when I invite guests and they see tempura on the dining table, it only means one thing. I love the guests very, very, VERY much.


Of course if you cook it yourself, you can eat as much as you like without spending a lot.


First thing I do with the shrimps is I remove the head, freeze and save it for another dish. Then peel the shrimps and leave the tail on. Sometimes if I see there is a thick black line on the back, I remove it by slicing open the back but not all the way (I don't want to open it like a butterfly) and lift the black vein with the tip of the knife.


Then I make zigzag slices(not all the way through) on the bottom part of the shrimps where the legs used to be so the shrimps won't curl during frying and remain straight. This process also stretches the shrimp, making it longer. Let it drain on a piece of paper towel.




Shrimp Tempura



Shrimps or Prawns

Kasugai or Showa Tempura Batter Mix

Ice cold water

cooking oil

Measure 1 cup of the Tempura batter mix. Add less than 1 cup ICE cold water to the mix, stir just until blended, and consistency runny. Do not over mix or else you will have a thick, doughy batter. We are aiming for light and crispy.

Dredge the shrimp ONE by ONE in 1/2 Cup of the powdered batter mix, shake excess.

Dip in the ice cold batter and fry in very hot cooking oil but not smoking.

Drain on paper towel.

Tempura Sauce

white radish, grated and squeezed

ginger, grated and squeezed

2 T. Mirin

2 T. Kikoman soy sauce

1 C. water

1 sachet of dashi or sometimes referred to as hondashi in the supermarket.

Boil the mirin, Kikoman, water and dashi granules. Adjust according to taste. Before serving add the radish and ginger.

I ate the Tempura together with the Japanese fried rice. I posted the recipe a few days ago.




4 comments:

  1. Hi Lia, I was brought here by my search for Kasugai tutorial. Where did you bought your dashi? Can't find it in any SM grocery store I've been to. Do you also have a tutorial for cooking a Takoyaki with resources that I can buy locally i.e. the pan, the mix, the sauce, and the "floss" (term taken from Breadtalk)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi zero1,

    I usually buy my dashi sachet from Rustan's Rockwell or most Japanese groceries in Little Tokyo, Pasong Tamo have it or in Hatchin grocery Metropolitan Ave,Makati near Sacred Heart Church in Dao St.

    Sorry, I don't know how to make Takoyaki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, does SM grocery stores sell tempura batter mix and tempura dipping sauce?

      Thank you.

      Delete
    2. Hi! Yes, SM has the tempura batter mix plus the ingredients for the sauce.

      Delete