Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Eve 2014

Happy New Year!

The year just went by so fast! What happened to me last 2014?

I went to Boracay, Puerto Princesa and twice to Cebu.

Hmmmm.... Any major happening?! Aside from cooking and eating with the Batgirls and the Junkies?

Not much, I think.

My family and I always celebrate during New Year's Eve.

My mom used to follow the tradition of wearing a polka dot dress.

Hahahaha I wore something polka dotted too! But can't be seen on the outside!

Mom used to buy several kinds of fruits, we had to eat round food.

The only tradition I followed this year was to put money in my pockets! 2 currencies, peso and $.

Well, it was just my lucky $2 bill.

My Ate and Kuya also followed that tradition but they had way more than what I had in my pocket!

Well, it is the thought that counts, right?

I was supposed to make Sotanghon soup but my Kuya requested for Molo Soup!

So, after I finished my orders of 2 Chicken Relleno and a tray of Paella, I had to go to Rustan's Rockwell to buy ground pork and shrimps. Good thing, I bought fresh Molo wrappers at Lingnam Noodle Factory in Binondo.

Pancit Molo

25 Large Lingnam Molo wrapper

1/4 K. Ground pork

100 g. Peeled shrimps, chopped or mashed with a cleaver then chopped

1 pc. Purefoods chorizo de Bilbao, chopped

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 small onion, chopped

2 stalks spring onions, chopped

1 egg

1 T. Cornstarch

1 t. MSG

1 T. Thai Patis

Mix all the ingredients for the filling. Wrap in Molo wrappers.

Broth

2 liters chicken broth

3 cloves garlic, chopped

1 onion, chopped

1/2 chicken breast, flaked

1-2 T fish sauce

Spring onions, chopped.

Saute garlic and onions until soft but not burnt. Add the chicken and fish sauce. Pour the chicken stock. Let it boil and then simmer for 30 minutes over low heat. Drop the dumplings one at a time. Let it simmer over low heat until the dumplings rise to the top.

Garnish with spring onions.

I made Embutido because I was able to buy sinsal in Farmer's but I don't know what went wrong with it.

I also made Potato Salad.

Hermie made Baked Mussels.

Bought assorted cold cuts at Santi's.

Ate brought fruit salad.

I was very happy with my Pork Barbecue!

The secret really is in the cut of the meat. I ordered frozen Pork Cutlet with marbling in Rustan's and asked them to slice it a little bit thicker than bacon.

I used the marinade I found in my 20 year old handwritten cookbook.

Pork BBQ

1 K. Meat

1/2 C. Soysauce

1/2 C. Brown sugar

1 T. MSG

1 T. Cracked black pepper

4 heads native garlic, crushed

2 T. Vinegar

1/2 C. 7 up

2 pcs. Siling labuyo, chopped

Mix the marinade in a bowl until sugar is melted. Set aside 1/4 C. marinade for the bbq basting sauce.

Add the meat to the marinade and keep in the refrigerator overnight.

BBQ Basting sauce

1/4 C. Reserved marinade

1/2 C. Cooking oil

1/2 C. UFC ketchup

Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Adjust according to taste. Add more sugar or soysauce.

Grill the pork bbq until almost cooked. Set aside. Then put back on the grill, baste with the bbq sauce. Grill for a few more minutes while basting and turning.

The yayas grilled the corn directly over the charcoal!

They said, that's how they do it in the province.

Everybody enjoyed the food. I also did but I was too busy with food preparation.

I taught Ate's Yayas how to grill bbq correctly.

I'm a bit OC when it comes to grilling food. I don't trust anybody to do it for me. So I had to go back and forth from the kitchen to the grill.

I have so many plans for 2015!

Lots of new recipes to try!

To name a few.... Mango San Rival, Hainanese Chicken, Nam Prik Ong, Stuffed crab's claw, and a whole lot more!

Also a new year's resolution I will try to follow! No more chocolates!

Help me Dear Lord!

I can forego bread, pizza, pastries, pastas, rice, corn, potatoes and other forms of carbohydrates but not chocolates!

Wish me luck!

I expect 2015 to be a good year for me and for everybody!

Happy New Year!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment