Sunday, October 3, 2010

Saturday Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner

It is Saturday again! Time flew really fast even if I was sick the whole week.  I'm feeling better now especially after consulting with Corry, Mona's sister.  I'm suffering from allergies and it's because of you know who. WRIGGLY!!!  What can I do? I can't live without him .... but he really isn't allowed anymore to sleep in my room.

I was up and about early this morning, that's a first ... was in Salcedo market by 8:00 am!!!!  As usual, I bought my favorite lumpiang ubod from Joanna's.  Sometimes, the lumpia filling is light and whitish but this morning, it was a little discolored, it probably depends on the ubod they use.  Next time, when I experiment, I will use chicken instead of pork.


I also tried the Chinese vegetable lumpia.  I didn't like it that much.  I have eaten a better version, like the one Jing and I ate in the little lumpia store in Binondo.  See?  My food choices now are of the healthy variety.


My whole family had lunch in my house.  I've decided to make lasagna, haven't cooked that in more that 5 years!!!  I had to consult several websites, cookbooks and called Mona a gazillion times to ask questions, she is an expert lasagna maker, that's her business and she even makes noodles from scratch!

Lia's Lasagna Experiment
 

Italian Spaghetti Sauce (double recipe) http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/08/lias-version-of-italian-spaghetti.html

White Sauce

1/2 C. Butter
1/2 C. Flour
4 C. Fresh Milk
1 bar cream cheese, cut into cubes

Melt Butter, add flour... whisk until blended.  Add the milk gradually and whisk continuously until not lumpy anymore.  Add the cream cheese and whisk until smooth.

Lasagna noodles - follow cooking instructions on the box.

Grated Cheddar, Parmesan and Eden Melt sarap cheese.

Grease a BIG oven proof rectangular dish with butter.  Lay 4 strips of lasagna noodles.  Add 2 cups of the meat sauce, 1 cup of the white cream cheese sauce and a quarter of the grated cheddar cheese.  Repeat layers... should end with noodles as the the last layer... spread the remaining white sauce, cover with grated cheddar, Parmesan and Eden Melt Sarap Cheese.

Bake at 350 C for 25 minutes then broil for an additional 5 minutes if your oven has that setting.

Important:  Let the lasagna rest for at least 25 minutes before serving so it will not fall apart.


I also made Caesar Salad and Ate liked it very much.  It really makes a difference when you use freshly grated Parmesan cheese. http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/09/caesar-salad-from-scratch.html




 

My BBQ helper grilled the Pork Barbeque.  My Kuya was so funny ... he was telling everybody to enjoy it while it is free.   Hahaha  When it is weekdays, if he wants to eat BBQ, he has to buy from my "ihaw-ihaw" stand.


They were looking for dessert, I told them I'm not allowed so I did not prepare.  We just peeled my suha but it wasn't sweet.  It is better to get  the peeled pomelo from Rustan's than unpeeled.

I was able to buy my NEW favorite Cheese in Rustan's this evening!!! 


When I was in S & R last week, I tasted the Mainland Vintage Cheese but they didn't have stock anymore.  I like it because the texture is .... I don't know the English equivalent but in Filipino... this is what we refer to as "Mala-bo" (accent of the BO).  I used it for my salad tonight.  I just added seedless grapes and chopped Gala apples.  The doctor said I can only eat half a cup of fruits in my salad with my favorite Cava Wine Honey dressing.


 The day was very long for me but I am happy.  I can't wait to wake up! Tomorrow is another day and I'm excited to cook and of course, EAT!!!

1 comment: