Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Jumbo Bangus Belly

For the past few days I have been craving for good bangus. I even asked my helper to go to Guadalupe Market yesterday morning to buy but I didn't like the taste and it did not have enough fat. My family usually eats the fat only. My mom would scoop out the black fat and not eat the white part of the fish. So, it was really a good idea to just buy the premium bangus belly, even though it is more expensive, at least all the parts are edible, nothing will go to waste.

I was surfing the net and came across pictures of bangus from the LZM restaurant in Tagaytay. People say it's one of the best! Deep fried about a foot and a half long! I almost rode the bus and went to Tagaytay! But then, the other day, Tita Portia served very good Bangus belly! I found out she bought it from the Fish Section of Rustan's Rockwell and not from the reach-in freezer in the grocery as I originally thought. I find frozen fish too dried out. I like my seafood fresh from the market.

Pan Fried "Daing na Bangus" Belly Steak


Last night, I asked her maid to teach me how to marinate the belly. She didn't use measuring spoons to measure the ingredients so I will just guess how much.





3 pcs. Kalamansi

2 T. vinegar

2 T. soysauce

2 T. oyster sauce

1 head native garlic, crushed

1/2 t. fine salt, rubbed on the skin and flesh side

* No pepper.

* Marinate overnight in the refrigerator


Use a ridged non stick frying pan.





When hot, add 1-2 T. cooking oil, 1-2 T. butter. Place bangus belly skin side down. Lower the heat. After 10 minutes, flip the fish gently and pan fry for another 10 minutes.

The bangus belly was so delish! It was crisp outside but super moist inside. Before, whenever I fried bangus, it would turn out dry and and too sour. But today, with the help of the maid of Tita Portia ... it was just perfect! And the fat! How do I describe thee???? Really quite thick and gelatinous! See for yourself!





1 comment:

  1. I've been to LZM in Tagaytay. They're bangus is good and way too big.

    ReplyDelete