Thursday, June 3, 2010

Binagoongan Baboy with Thai Fried Rice

Binagoongan Baboy for me is eaten with rice while Bagoong guisado is eaten with green mangoes. I bought in Bataan fresh alamang, Mayette said to buy with big alamang rather than small and mashed. When I got home, my household helpers said it tasted good even if it was raw, all you need is to squeeze calamansi on it.



I searched the net for a simple recipe the other day and found one! I just experimented and made a small batch.



Binagoongan Baboy



garlic, crushed

onion, sliced

1 tomato, sliced

1-2 T. alamang

1 strip of liempo

1-2 cup/s water

1 T. brown sugar

2 T. vinegar

1 red chile



Saute garlic, onion and tomato. When wilted add the pork slices, continue cooking until not bloody anymore. Add the alamang and saute very well. Add water, brown sugar, vinegar and chile. Cover and simmer over low heat until pork is tender, about 20 minutes.



Easy, huh? While I was cooking, I was talking to my Tita Portia on the phone... then with my Ate... and then .... I could smell my Binagoongan burning!!!!! I ran to the kitchen... lifted the cover and it dried out and fat has been rendered from the pork! I wanted it to be wet and saucy. I was a little bit disappointed and told my maids just to store it in the fridge, I didn't want to see it yet.



Last night, Mayette and her family invited me (Yes! I was invited, I didn't invite myself.) to join them for dinner at Som's - hole in the wall Thai resto near Dog and Cat hospital and Bel-Air). While at Som's, it gave me an idea that I can turn my dry binagoongan into Thai Bagoong Fried Rice!



I already posted a version of Bagoong Rice in one of my previous entries. I used pork tocino but I like the one I made tonight with binagoongan better!



I reheated the Binagoongan baboy in a wok, then put it aside on a plate. Using the same wok, I browned the garlic, then added 1 t. Thai Shrimp paste then 1 cup rice and 1 T. brown sugar. Tossed the rice for a few minutes. Garnished with the following:



2 T. hibe (dried shrimps), deep fried

shredded green mangoes

strips of egg omelet

shallots or sibuyas bombay, sliced

1 T. chopped Happy garlic flavoured peanuts.

calamansi or lime

chile flakes, optional



I am not disappointed anymore because it turned out really good!!!! I made sure that each spoonful had the meat, shallots, mangoes, hibe, egg and peanuts! The combination of all those ingredients was really... really.... really.... hahaha

what can I say??? YUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment