Monday, July 5, 2010

Bulalo Puchero

I was thinking of what to cook for dinner tonight. I only have 2 pieces of beef shank in my freezer. Then I remembered Tita Cena, mom of Mona, made a very delicious Beef Puchero a couple of years ago when I attended a party. I gave her a call and asked her to teach me. In her version, she used Beef Kenchie - a very healthy cut, but, Lia being Lia.... used Bulalo.





Beef Bulalo Puchero by Cena Avancena

1/2 K. Beef shank, cut into cubes
2 T. olive oil
garlic,crushed

onion, sliced
2 pcs. tomatoes, sliced
1/2 C. tomato sauce
1 El Rey chorizo de Bilbao, sliced (but I used 2 pcs. Purefoods chorizo since I don't have El Rey)

2 1/2 C. water

1 T. tomato paste
garbanzos

saba, fried slightly
camote, fried slightly

green beans

cabbage

pechay

Saute in olive oil the garlic, onion and tomatoes. Then add the beef, saute until no longer pink. Add the chorizo and tomato sauce. After a minute, add water and simmer over low heat until tender. I used the pressure cooker for 45 minutes.

At this point, add the tomato paste, garbanzos, fried saba and camote. Layer the vegetables starting with the green beans, cabbage slices and pechay. Cover for 2-3 minutes. Remove the vegetables and serve separately.

I always eat puchero with the eggplant sauce and patis with calamansi.



Eggplant sauce

2 pcs. roasted eggplant, peeled

4 cloves garlic, crushed ( I used the garlic press)

1 T. sugar
1 T. vinegar

Process all the ingredients is a food blender.

I enjoyed my dinner very much. I especially loved the marrow!!!



Ohhhh.... I was humming "Killing me softly..." while eating the marrow. I shared the puchero with Tita Portia but I did not give her the "utak". I know... that was greedy of me.



I had a dinner "guest" although he wasn't allowed to eat. He was probably salivating over the bone. I only gave him camote. I hope he doesn't pass gas tonight! We are roommates again because I'm not allergic to him anymore.


1 comment:

  1. Your Recipes are one of the Best Lia, actually I made a version of Chicken Pochero too. You Can visit my blog if you have time. More Recipes to come Lia

    ReplyDelete