Saturday, June 30, 2012

As expected.....

I attended a get-together last night, as expected.... my FBS went up to 132 from 89.  I am not alarmed because that is still a relative low reading for me.

I ate Kare-Kare last night which my friend, Marianne, ordered from me. I was really trying to just season with fish sauce and salt but it lacked a certain OOMPHH... I had to add Knorr Beef Cube.  It is a big no-no in a wheat free diet because it contains MSG and modified starch.  What was even worse was the ground toasted rice I added.

It has been established that wheat products increase blood sugar but Dr. Davis said that foods made with cornstarch, rice starch, potato starch and tapioca starch are among the few foods that increase blood sugar even MORE than wheat products.

So, that answers the question of the rise in my FBS reading this morning.

Ohhhh... I missed an important point in the book .. under the Diabetes Chapter, Dr. Davis said to restrict other carbohydrates, especially cornstarch and sugars, as well as oats, beans, rice and potatoes.  He said that this restriction is not necessary in most people, it is only for diabetics.

That is why I have to read the book over and over again to be able to understand it completely and internalize until it is just second nature to me.

So this coming week.... I will wean myself from rice and eat only 1/2 C. per day.  Then next week... totally eliminate it from my menu.  Crossing my fingers!!!!

I was opting for a wheat-free food today so I cooked Stir-Fried Vegetables with Beef and Cashew.  It is actually just like the Mongolian Beef Barbecue but I used fish sauce instead of soy sauce and pepper flakes instead of Lee Kum Kee Chili sauce which contains wheat.

Stir-fried Vegetables with Beef and Cashew




90 g. beef sirloin, cut into strips across the grain
roasted cashew nuts
chili pepper flakes

Marinade:

1 t. sesame oil
1 t. white sugar
1 t. brown sugar
2 cloves minced garlic soaked in 1 T. water
1 T. Thai fish sauce

Marinate the beef  in all the ingredients for 10 minutes

Sliced or shredded vegetables: Chinese cabbage, cabbage, celery, leeks, carrot, green pepper.

On a very hot teflon frying pan, put all the vegetables on one side and the beef with marinade on the other side.  Toss until the beef is no longer pink.  Transfer onto a plate. 

Garnish with roasted cashew nuts and sprinkle with chili pepper flakes.

That was totally wheat free!!!

I bought Chicken Inasal from the Magnolia Chicken station and grilled it for lunch.



I was afraid it would still be bloody so I think I overcooked it.  The skin got burnt, I had to remove and did not eat it.  I just need to learn how to grill it to perfection. 

My dipping sauce was just cane vinegar, fish sauce, sugar, red onions, salt and pepper since I cannot have soy sauce and kalamansi.



 Chicken Inasal Basting Sauce

2 T. cooking oil
1 T. butter
1 T. atsuete seeds
1 t. rock salt
1 pc. kalamansi

Heat a frying pan, add the oil and butter.  Then, add the atsuete seeds.  Toss for about 1 minute.  Switch off heat then add the rock salt and kalamansi.  Drain before using.

Food Diary:

Breakfast:

1-egg ground beef torta
1/2 C. brown rice

Lunch:

Grilled Chicken Inasal
1/2 C. brown rice

Dinner:

Stir-fried Vegetables with Beef and Cashew

Snack:
2 pcs. Sio Mai  (I do not think it was wheat-free because flour or perhaps cornstarch was used as a binder.  My Kuya just gave it to me and wanted to give more, I said two pieces were enough.)

* I forgot, I received communion today.  I know I should not because the wafer is made from wheat.  I know God will understand me if I do not receive communion anymore.  What matters most is to attend the service with a pure and sincere heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment