Monday, May 10, 2010

Happy Mother's Day to Wriggly's Mama!

Happy Mother's Day to me! I'm not a mother to real children but only to my baby, Wriggly. When I woke up, I posted in FB that I was going to celebrate today even if I'm not a Mom. The power of positive thinking really worked! My Tita Portia invited me for the afternoon tea buffet at The Pen and then after a few minutes I received another invitation from Mayette for dinner! She said they have LECHON, so I replied: Yes! YAY! Hooray!!!!!


My Tita enjoys taking high tea, so in every country she goes to ... she just has to try all the places where they serve it. She was even featured in several magazines for her tea parties. I don't understand why it makes her happy but I suppose the feeling is the same when I'm at the beach and enjoying myself. She always invites me to join her. High Tea is a pleasant experience especially now that you rarely see gentility in everyday aspect of life. There is even an etiquette for High Tea.... lots and lots of rules.


History of the Afternoon Tea Party

While drinking tea as a fashionable event is credited to Catharine of Braganza, the actual taking of tea in the afternoon developed into a new social event some time in the late 1830’s and early 1840’s. Jane Austen hints of afternoon tea as early as 1804 in an unfinished novel. It is said that the afternoon tea tradition was established by Anne, Duchess of Bedford. She requested that light sandwiches be brought to her in the late afternoon because she had a “sinking feeling” during that time because of the long gap between meals. She began to invite others to join her and thus became the tradition.
http://www.afternoontoremember.com/learn/etiquette


How to eat scones with jam and clotted cream. First you split the scone open in the middle horizontally with a knife, spread butter, then jam and top with clotted cream.






I had several servings of Bacon Quiche, Mushroom-Asparagus-Cheese Crostini, Beef Tenderloin Skewers with Green and Red Pepper and 1 serving of Cucumber with Cream Cheese sandwich and Pan De Sal filled with Shredded Adobo Flakes.

I always get fruits, cheeses and nuts for dessert whenever there is a buffet. I don't like the pastries in hotels sometimes because they are too sweet. I liked the Pen Chocolate Chunk Cookie but I only let myself have 1 piece. The Japanese melon was not that sweet but the watermelon was. The dragon fruit tasted funny. I got 2 slices of cheese, hard and semi hard, teeny bit slice of cheesecake, dried apricots and walnuts.

I chose the herbal Jasmine tea since I can't take the black teas because of the caffeine. I was so stuffed!

Good thing I still had a couple of hours left before going to Mayette's house for dinner! The food was lechon and I needed space in my stomach!

The skin was very crunchy and I got my favorite part which was the rib area! A whole lechon for just a few adults so it was really EAT ALL YOU CAN!

What a Mother's day celebration I had! To copy a quote from the FB post of my friend, Edith:

It is wiser not to expect but to hope. For in expecting we meet disappointments, whereas in hoping, we invite surprises and miracles.

See how that worked for me on Mother's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment