Thursday, September 2, 2010

Shrimps and Pomelo Salad

I went to the grocery this afternoon... was planning to make Japanese Salad tonight because I have Kani.. then I saw the pomelo at the fruits section and changed my menu to Shrimps and Pomelo Salad. I had to do my research online to make sure the dressing was correct. In my imagination I would use lime, Thai fish sauce, brown sugar and chile but I didn't know the proportion. Good thing I was able to combine all the Thai salad dressing recipes and came up with a simple one.

Shrimps and Pomelo Salad - 1 serving





50 grams Green Lollo lettuce
8 pieces steamed suahe, peeled

8 segments pomelo

cucumber, peeled and sliced

shallots, sliced thinly. (Omit if you plan on kissing someone after.)

roasted cashew or peanuts, hand chopped (I didn't have so wasn't able to put)

Dressing



1 T. lime juice

1 T. Pantai Thai Fish Sauce

1 T. brown sugar

1 t. Thai Roasted Pepper paste (Given to me my Tita Jit from Bangkok)

1 pc. red chili

I really loved this salad! I am excited to serve this to my guests one of these days when I do a Thai themed lunch or dinner. I didn't have a hard time eating this "leaf". Romaine is ok for sandwiches though.

I also made homemade mayonnaise this afternoon. I only used 1 egg yolk and half a cup of Wesson corn oil. It was a little tart because I added too much kalamansi juice. Good thing I only made half a cup. I like cooking my own food because I know it is fresh, no preservatives and I get to control how much seasoning to add.

"Lite" Homemade Mayo




1 egg yolk

1/2 C. Wesson Corn oil

1/8 t. white pepper

1 t. kalamansi juice

1/4 - 1/2 t. fine salt


In a metal bowl, beat yolk with a spatula. Add oil half teaspoon at a time. Halfway through, add the kalamansi juice gradually and the seasonings. Continue beating with a spatula or wooden spoon until thick and creamy.

I made chicken sandwich on whole wheat bread with tomatoes, pickle relish and Romaine lettuce.







I am very happy with my progress. I'm beginning to choose my food wisely. I had chicken sandwich with lite mayo instead of cheeseburger with fries. I got hungry a bit after dinner because I was talking to Lisa and she enumerated her Labor Day weekend snacks... I opted for a handful of nuts instead of my beloved Herr's Cheese Curls.


I still have a long way to go ... but at least the desire and willingness to change my lifestyle are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment