Sunday, January 8, 2012

Vegetarian Chili

Another new experiment, Vegetarian Chili.  My friends liked it so much but I only gave them a little.  They said, How do you spell damot?  Capital L-I-A!!!  Hahahahaha! My friends are funny that way.  But my chili really tasted so good, it was like my chili con carne but without the meat.

Vegetarian Chili




1 t. olive  oil
white onion,chopped
green pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 t. cumin
2 t. chili powder
1 1/2 cans whole peeled tomatoes, liquified in a blender
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained (I used 2 ears of boiled sweet corn)
1 t. rock salt
1/2 t. black pepper
1 T. dark brown sugar

Heat the oil in a pot, saute the onion, green pepper and then the garlic.
Add the cumin and chili powder.
Pour the liquified whole peeled tomatoes, season with salt, pepper and brown sugar.
Simmer over low heat for about 20-25 minutes, add the beans and the corn.
Continue cooking for 10-15 minutes more.

I just realized that low fat vegan food can taste delicious!  My family had lunch in my house yesterday.  I  cooked Pancit Canton for them and Hermie was in charge of the fried chicken wings.

I had a bowl of vegan chili and CLT.



Cucumber, Lettuce and Tomato on toasted Rye.



My friends and I pigged out again last night at the house of Joy, sister of Mayette.



They ate chips with guacamole and cheese dip, Chef Tonys popcorn, Excellente ham with pan de sal, fruits, round crackers from Indonesia and a whole lot more.

Did I join them in their piggery??

Nope, I brought my vegan chili and salad from Rustans Rockwell.



Ohhhhhhh  I have a very sad story.... while all my friends were having my favorite concoction at Happy Lemon:

Cocoa Milk Tea with Puff cream plus brown sugar jelly and crispy cocoa, I ordered the Mango Green tea.



It was a SAD Lemon experience.  LOL  My silly friends asked me to pose this way.



I am already used to eating my oatmeal breakfast with cinnamon and fruits.



My dinner tonight was vegan Mongolian Barbecue.



I cut all the veggies into strips and stir fried in a very hot cooking pan.

White onions, garlic, celery, onion leeks, red pepper, green pepper, bean sprouts, Chinese cabbage, carrots and cabbage.

I just seasoned with Lee Kum Kee Chili sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and brown sugar.

My low-fat vegan diet is very encouraging.  Last Dec 29, 2011, my sugar was 254 but yesterday morning, just after 4 days of following this new lifestyle, it went down to 145!  It has always been in the mid 200s for the past several years.  Also, I was surprised that I lost 5 lbs. in 5 days!  And I have been eating a lot of food, I have never been hungry plus I even use sugar in my cooking!

I hope I can sustain this lifestyle.  Good thing my friends and family have been very supportive.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lia,

    I discovered your blog thru my friend, Albert and it was only today that I found out you are doing the Vegan diet. Yay on that and good luck! :)

    Question - I noticed you always use canned whole peeled tomatoes and liquified them in a blender. Why is that? Is the taste different from fresh tomatoes? I will try to cook your Vegetarian Chili, btw. Good luck to me! Tee hee!

    April

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi April! Good luck on your Chili experiment! I use canned tomatoes because the tomatoes are sweeter. The fresh tomatoes we have here are not as sweet as the ones picked from Italy which they can immediately.

    ReplyDelete