Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"Love...... Love..... Love"

If you have been following my blog for quite a while now, you know I am silly-crazy. I went to Rustan's Rockwell and asked one of the butchers if by chance they have bone marrow. The guy said he will check their walk-in freezer and he came out with one as long and as thick as my forearm! I asked him to get a couple more and cut each one into two.

What I love about Rustan's is that they usually give in to my request. I told the butcher I only like the center part..... The part where the marrow is. I do not want the end part of the shin bone because I have no use for it.

Now..... Here comes the silly part.... As I was pushing the cart in the supermarket, I was humming softly ( I hope?) the song, " Love..... Love... Love". If you could have seen me, I had this unholy gleeful expression on my face.

I should not feel guilty whenever I buy bone marrow. According to the Eat Daily Blog, (http://www.eatmedaily.com/2009/05/offal-of-the-week-marrow/), the marrow is a good source of protein and monounsaturated fat.

Another source is:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/445905-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-eating-bone-marrow/

"Beef marrow is quite fatty but none of it is saturated in nature."

"Since it does not contain saturated fat, it should not significantly contribute to your risk of heart disease and type-2 diabetes."

It is also a source of iron and calcium.

Hard to believe, is it not? But then it is up to you.

My Grandmother had bone marrow almost everyday and never had a heart problem.

I made Bulalo Soup with my beef bone marrow.

I added young sweet corn, about 4 inches in length.

If I want to make my family happy, I should serve them this soup all the time. I shared my Bulalo with PD, gave her THREE of my precious bones!

I invited my Kuya, he had one. I could only finish 2! It was so heavenly! The whole marrow slipped from the bone easily! Ate it with hot steaming rice and my dipping sauce was kalamansi and patis.

The perfect partner of course was fried crispy Tawilis!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment