Friday, July 27, 2012

Pork Menudo with Fried Banana

FBS: 100

Whew! After eating at Yaki Mix yesterday my FBS was still normal!  I do not want to push the envelope but I am glad that my diabetes is more controlled now.

I have not cooked Menudo in years!  I cannot remember a time when we ate it when I was growing up.  I  discovered that there was such a thing called Menudo in the early 90's.  I cannot eat potatoes so I replaced it with cubed fried saba banana! It turned out really delicious!  Very sweet, especially with the raisins.

Pork Menudo with Fried Banana



50 g. pork fat, cut into small cubes
1 t. achuete seeds
250 g. pork tenderloin, cut into small cubes
120 g. pork liver, cut into small cubes
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, sliced
2 tomatoes, sliced
1 T. fish sauce
1 red pepper, cut into squares
1 T. tomato paste
1 C. water
carrots, cubed
2 T. raisins
3 pcs. saba banana, cubed and fried

Render oil from the pork fat.  Remove the pork bits and soak the achuete seeds in the oil until it turns orange.  Remove seeds.

Saute garlic, onions and tomatoes in the oil over low heat until the tomatoes are soft.

Add the pork tenderloin cubes and fried fat, continue sauteing until the meat is not pink anymore.  Season with fish sauce.

Add the pork liver, then after a few minutes minutes add the red bell pepper, tomato paste and water.  When it boils, lower the heat, cover and cook for 30 minutes.

Add the carrots and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Lastly, add the fried banana and raisins.  Season with more fish sauce, salt and pepper.

Jing had lunch here and we could not stop eating it! Of course, we measured our rice.

Food Diary:

Breakfast:

2 eggs, soft-boiled - I'm still perfecting the art of cooking eggs



Snack:

Fried rice
sauteed seafood

Lunch:

1/2 C. rice
Pork Menudo with Fried Banana
sauteed vegetables



Snack:

banana cue
peanuts

Dinner:

1/2 C. rice
Mayette's Soyless Adobo



Pesang Bacoco with sauteed tomatoes, onions and garlic in olive oil





No comments:

Post a Comment