Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mom's Mayo

It's Mother's Day on Sunday... but I do not have a Mom anymore.  I think of her all the time, though.  I miss her sooo much! 

One of our Mother and daughter activities was making home made mayo.  She really made the best!  Tita Portia's is just the second best.

I have been asking Mom's friends how they do theirs and they said to use lots and lots of egg yolks and Wesson Corn oil.  Aha! NO wonder my previous attempts  were not successful... my mayo was not like Mom's.  It should be butter yellow in color ... or as my Ate  described earlier ....  should be 3M Post-It yellow.

This has been my most successful attempt so far .... but still not in the same caliber as my Mom's.  I just wanted to make a small amount since I will just use it for my sandwich.  But I used my immersion blender ... and it did not emulsify.  I had to start over several times.  I ended up using 5 egg yolks!

Mayo


5 VERY fresh egg yolks ( buy from the market - grocery eggs tend to be old and have been on the shelves for weeks)
1 C. Wesson corn oil ... Marca Leon is also a good brand
juice of 10 calamansi
1/2 t. fine salt
1/2 t. white pepper

Beat egg yolks with a wooden spoon in a very clean bowl.  Stir slowly, not fast.  Add oil a teaspoon at a time.  Season with salt and pepper half way through... and add the calamansi juice  in increments. Keep adding oil and stirring until there is no more left in the measuring cup.

My delicious Ham Sandwich

Made up of lots of lettuce, thinly sliced tomatoes

 

and Farmer's Ham from Santi's.

 



I had a hard time biting into it and making sure the whole ensemble did not fall apart.

 

Loved the home made mayo.  Thanks Mommy for teaching me!

No comments:

Post a Comment