Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Cream of Squash Soup

It is supposed to be called Pumpkin Soup but we do not have pumpkin in the Philippines, so I used squash instead.  I called up Mona and asked for her recipe, I also browsed in Google and combined the tips I gathered.

Cream of Squash Soup



4 strips of bacon, fried and cut into bits
2 T. bacon oil and/or butter
1 onion, sliced
350 - 400 g. squash, cubed
3 1/2 C. water or chicken stock (omit Knorr cubes if using stock)
2 pcs. Knorr Chicken cubes
1/2 C. all purpose cream
additional cream

Caramelize the onions in bacon oil and/or butter.  Deglaze the pan with a bit of water then transfer into pot.  Add the squash, Knorr cubes and the rest of the water or stock.

Boil over low heat for 30 minutes, uncovered.

Put everything in a blender and puree. Be CAREFUL!!!  The soup splattered all over my kitchen wall and a bit on my hand.  Just process on the lowest setting.

Put back the pureed soup into the pot and simmer until thick. Add 1/2 C. cream and stir.  Add an additional dollop of cream for every serving and top with crumbled bacon.

Sophia loved the soup!  Hahahaha! She said it tasted like Carbonara.  There are no bacon bits  in the picture because I ate it before the soup was done!!!  I was stirring and stirring, waiting for the soup to thicken when I realized I ran out of LPG!!!  GRRRRR  I had to wait for the delivery man.

FYI,  The second ingredient in Knorr Chicken cube is MSG.

No comments:

Post a Comment