Friday, November 4, 2011

Asian Dinner for Pinky

We always hold a welcome home party for our friend, Pinky, who works for the biggest cruise ship in the world, Oasis of the Sea.  I was with my Boracay buddies, Tricia, Jodie and Mico.  I also invited a few favorite friends but they were not able to make it.

I have been planning this Asian dinner for Pinky for weeks.  We are at the age when we are more health conscious, so the menu was light and healthy.  How funny, my Kuya, who is my next door neighbor, called and asked what the food was. He thought there would be Amber Pork BBQ and Crispy Pata, which were the all time favorite potluck contributions.

I was so excited in preparing the meal for these very special people.



I have known them since Grade/High School.  Whenever I cook for friends I like, I get so inspired that I research and practice for weeks!  And always with TLC!

Let us go around Asia .....

Thai Pomelo Salad



That was the potluck contribution of Pinky but she asked me to make for her.  I never thought they would finish the whole platter but they said it was very, very delicious, especially the Thai Lime-Honey dressing.  I got the recipe from my blog but I did not add shrimps anymore because there were several dishes with shrimps already.

lettuce
pomelo
shallots
roasted cashew

Thai Lime-Honey dressing



6 T. lime juice (4 pcs. lime)
6 T. honey
3 T. Thai fish Sauce
10 pcs, shallots, sliced into thin rounds
1/2 t. Thai Chili flakes

Combine all the ingredients for the dressing.  Serve in a little jug.



Vietnamese Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2011/10/my-fresh-vietnamese-spring-rolls.html



Finally!!!  After all the restaurant hopping and experiments, I was able to perfect the art of making fresh Vietnamese spring rolls.  Well ... not  aesthetically perfect yet but I suppose the taste was.

Singaporean Prawns with Salted Yolk Sauce http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2011/10/prawns-in-salted-yolk-sauce.html



Dra. Tricia asked me to cook this dish as her contribution.

She also ordered Phad Thai from Wild Ginger in Rockwell.



Hainanese Chicken



Dra. Mico, Jodie and Tin shared in one order of Hainanese Chicken  from Stevie Villacin.  It came with Chicken Rice



and the dipping sauces.



Our drink for the night was Lemongrass Virgin Mojito. (Non-alcoholic).



I was just going to make the ordinary Lemongrass Pandan Tea http://liasfoodjourney.blogspot.com/2010/09/thai-lunch-with-friends.html but I decided to give it a little zing and added mint leaves and lime slices.  I even muddled some of the leaves, just like how you make a real Mojito.  I used a stalk of lemongrass as a stirrer.

Mango Sago Pomelo of  Hong Kong



600 grams ripe mangoes
1/2 C. sugar syrup (boil 1/2 C sugar in 1/2 C. water until it dissolves)
1/2 C. Carnation Evap
1/4 C. sago pearl (boil in water until no there is no more white at the center, drain and rinse with cold water)
1/2 C. pomelo, shredded

Puree the mangoes in the blender with the syrup and milk.  Transfer into a serving bowl, add the boiled sago and top with pomelo.  Serve Chilled.

I am very, very happy that my Asian Dinner for Pinky was a success.  We were catching up on old times, lots of stories were shared and we could  not contain our laughter!  Until the next get together with my SUPER DOOPER, funny but true friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment