Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Prawns in Salted Yolk Sauce

I was just talking to my friend, Tricia, yesterday who  just came from Singapore and she said, she had the most delicious crab dish ever!   Crabs with Salted Egg Yolk sauce!  I was intrigued and researched the net immediately how to cook it.

I found several recipes but then I do not like crabs that much because it is so hard to eat.  I only like to eat the crab when it is female and full of fat.  There were several recipes which used prawns instead of the crustacean.

I could not wait anymore to wake up last night... went to bed early just so I can go to the market as soon as I get up from bed.  They only had big white shrimps, no prawns, in Bel - Air market... so I just bought half a kilo.

I called up Rustans Rockwell the previous night to ask if they have curry leaves, the custormer service staff said they were out of stock.  Good thing I remembered I have a friend who likes to cook with different spices and herbs and leaves.  Serla was a life saver!  She said she has dried curry leaves and will drop it off at my house.  I told her I will just pick it up from her Rockwell condo lobby.  Hahahahaha That is the equivalent of borrowing a cup of sugar from your neighbor.  Thank you, Serla!!!

I am almost ready to experiment... I have the salted eggs, shrimps and curry leaves... but I forgot to buy milk!!!!  Then.... I was thinking ... it so hard to find curry leaves and I will experiment with white shrimps!?!!!?  It did not seem right.

Sooooo .... I went to Farmers Market in Cubao to buy 8 pieces of prawns!  Hahahahaha  I had to smuggle the prawns inside my bag (in a plastic container) because dripping fresh seafood and the likes are not allowed inside the MRT train.

Prawns in Salted Egg Yolk Sauce



1/2 - 1 K. prawns
1 egg, beaten
1/2 C. cornstarch
1 C. cooking oil

1/2 C. butter
6 salted egg yolks, steamed for 4 minutes then mashed (This insures the sauce is smooth and not grainy.)
1-2 pcs. birds eye chili (labuyo), sliced diagonally
handful of fresh curry leaves or dried
1 t. Knorr Chicken Powder or 1/2 Knorr Chicken cube
1 t. sugar
1 C. Carnation Evap

Clean and devein the prawns by cutting along the back without removing the shell.  Dip in egg then in cornstarch.  Fry in hot oil until the color changes, about 1 minute or so.  Do not overcook.  Set aside. Remove the oil.

In the same frying pan or wok, melt the butter then add the steamed yolks.  Use the back of the ladle to stir, when it bubbles, add the chili and curry leaves.  Season with the chicken cube and sugar.  Add the evaporated milk, stir continuously.  Add the fried prawns.  Serve while hot with steamed white rice.  The whole cooking process should only take about five minutes.

I was so excited to try my experiment!  Sure I had the prawns in salted egg at Mesa in Greenbelt, but that was more with a Filipino twist.    This recipe is different.  It was delicious!!!!  I had to use my hands while eating!  No part of the prawn was left unlicked and unsucked!  LOL   I practically licked the plate clean!!!

If before, eating Lechon would put a sparkle in my voice ... well,  this dish gave me a ZAP of electricity!!!   I do not know if the sauce tastes the same as the one Tricia tried in Singapore  but .... TRICIA!!!!  Thank you for exciting my taste buds again!

P.S.  For hard to find ingredients such as galangal, thai chili, mushrooms, curry leaves... you can get it from Beth at Farmers Market.  Tel. no. - 4401890 or  09178547855

P.P.S. I cooked again tonight the Prawns recipe for PD, Kuya and Mona.


2 comments:

  1. Hello Lia! Where did you buy your uncooked salted eggs? Normally salted eggs in Manila are already cooked and it's difficult to scrape the yolk away from the white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Just slice the salted egg in half and scoop out the yolk.

      Delete