Monday, November 28, 2016

"Maantang" Butter

This post is about butter and its by-product.

I like butter.  I like to eat it straight from the fridge.  I love cold butter.  I eat it with fried fish and calamansi.

Have I mentioned how much I love cold butter?

Mabel gave me butter from Australia! Thank you!


I loved it because it has my pre-requisite "anta" taste and smell.  Just like the Brunn butter in can.

Anta in a good way.  An aftertaste like blue cheese.  I can't find an English equivalent word that really describes the butter.

Whenever there is a new brand of butter in the supermarket I always smell it.  Most of our commercial butters do not have an "anta" smell.  Just a bland waxy smell and taste.  Even the French and Danish butters in the market don't have the aroma that I like.

I ate the Australian butter with the bread rolls I bought in Texas Roadhouse.


Perfect combination.

The only butter with the smell that I like is the one I buy in Crafts Boracay, Petit Normand.


I bring home several bars every time I go to the island.

I was so excited to use it for the butter cake.

Hmmmm.... my recipe is 30 years old.  I can't remember the last time I baked it.  So... fast forward several years after....

It was a little over baked.  Brown, as in mahogany brown.


It tasted good but I was not a happy camper.  I used a different oven and baking pan back then.


I experimented again last night! I used Arla butter.


This time, it was under baked.  I was so afraid the cake will be burnt so I just baked it for 25 minutes.

It collapsed after a few minutes.  It looked and tasted like tamago.


I decided to slice it and bake it under low heat.


The butter cake is now known as Mamon Tostado!


I will not give up until I get it right so I will not post the recipe yet.

I think one more try and I know I will get it right.

But for now......  I'm still on the hunt for "maanta" butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment