Thursday, March 12, 2015

Siopao

I had a siopao obsession which lasted for several days. I've been trying different kinds of siopao I can get my hands on.

I tried the siopao at Wooden Spoon Rockwell.

FGM even drove me at midnight to Chowking, Fort so I could have my siopao fix.

Shey ordered Asado siopao from Lutong Macau.

When her kids got sick, she asked her driver to buy soup For them and Siopao for me.

I even tried the siopao of Hen Lin.

Siopao from the Jeepney Bar Cafe buffet at Intercon.

Asado Buns at Tim Ho Wan!

Finally, they said, I should just make my own!

And so I did with my best little kitchen helper, Jose!

Cat and Mona helped also put the filling in the siopao.

I got the recipe of the dough from: http://philstartup.blogspot.com/2012/06/siopao-recipe-easy.html

I used the ingredients but the procedure is my own.

Siopao

3 C. Flour

1 C. Lukewarm water

3 t. Instant yeast

4 T. Sugar

1/4. C. Shortening

1 t. Salt

1 recipe of Chicken with Black Mushroom and Sausage

Combine, water, sugar and yeast. Let it rest for 5 minutes or until foamy.

Add the shortening and the salt.

Put the flour in the Kitchen Aid mixing bowl. Make a well in the center then add the liquid ingredients. Stir with a spoon until almost well blended.

Using the dough hook attachment of the Kitchen Aid, beat for 5 minutes until smooth.

Pour about 1 T. oil in the bowl, turn the dough to coat all the sides.

Cover with cling wrap and let the dough rise for 30 minutes or until double in size.

Turn the dough out on a table, knead a few times to knock out the air. Divide into 24 equal parts. Roll into a ball and flatten into round discs.

Cover with cling wrap or kitchen towel. Let it rise for 30 minutes.

Chop the chicken filling finely then put 1 T. of the filling in the center of the dough, a piece of black mushroom and a slice of sausage.

Make the edges of the dough meet and pinch or twist to seal.

Use a cupcake liner instead of wax paper for the siopao so it will not stick to the steamer.

Cover again with cling wrap or kitchen towel. Let it rise again for 30 minutes.

Prepare the steamer. When the water is boiling, steam the buns for 30 minutes. Cover the buns with a kitchen towel or katcha.

TADA! My very first siopao experiment!

I let my kitchen elves taste it! They said it was okay and that next time we could experiment with different fillings!

I even sent a few pieces to FGM so she can try!

I cannot wait for my next siopao experiment! Perhaps with char siu filling!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment